Clownfish help!! Fins disintegrated overnight

Reefing Mama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 clowns that have been a bonded pair for almost a year. This one that was exhibiting signs of dominance until recently, and I assumed was the female, has now been obsessing over the powerheads the last few weeks and yesterday she was fine minus a LITTLE fin fraying. Now her fins are almost gone! In a day. I have since moved her to qt and I'm monitoring her but idk if it was the other clown or fin rot or what. There are no other fish in the tank and have not added corals or inverts for the last 2 months.

Screenshot_20210428-204141_Motion photo viewer.jpg Screenshot_20210428-204019_Gallery.jpg received_2889881411282042.jpeg received_1384014751972160.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like both fin rot and brooklynella on clown. The fin rot will be associated with bacterial issue which makes sense with brook. At the onset, fish may scrape up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable sign is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by the fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body which appears on the body of yours. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions can appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise as which may explain the fins.
Most common treatment for this is formalin (quick Cure is an example). Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, the fish is given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW dip or bath the same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.

OP
OP
Reefing Mama

Reefing Mama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the other clown isn't showing any of this at all and they have been together for almost a year. No other fish but these 2 have been in the tank. I have not introduced any coral or inverts into the system for over 2 months which is hard for me to believe it's brooklynella. How could she have gotten it but the other clown has not?

OP
OP
Reefing Mama

Reefing Mama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is no slime, she is eating fine, and other than the obsession with the powerhead, has been normal. She's been obsessed with it for close to a month. My understanding of brook makes it seem like if it where that, she'd be dead already and the other fish would be in danger as well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also there is no slime, she is eating fine, and other than the obsession with the powerhead, has been normal. She's been obsessed with it for close to a month. My understanding of brook makes it seem like if it where that, she'd be dead already and the other fish would be in danger as well
In the pic below, fish appears to have a milky/hazy appearance to it.

We'll get a second opinion @Jay Hemdal

1619660086058.png

OP
OP
Reefing Mama

Reefing Mama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In person, she doesn't have any type of slime coating, color is normal except for a spot behind the fin that looks like she got injured almost

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is just the left pectoral fin that is damaged? Tough to see in the photo. Dominance patterns can change with clownfish, and even after years, they can start fighting. My guess is that the other one bit this fish's fin and then it became infected with bacteria. The typical treatment would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a small treatment tank. Furan-2 would be one choice.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back