Clownfish not doing well

Cmr102890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this raised area appeared on my clownfishes face a few days ago. Seems like something has happened to the side of its face. There is very little aggression between fish. Both my clownfish now have white stringy poop and it’s breathing heavily. Seems to be going downhill. Any advice as to how I diagnose this issue

AAADDE15-002E-4174-BE55-EE4655BE2122.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
this raised area appeared on my clownfishes face a few days ago. Seems like something has happened to the side of its face. There is very little aggression between fish. Both my clownfish now have white stringy poop and it’s breathing heavily. Seems to be going downhill. Any advice as to how I diagnose this issue

AAADDE15-002E-4174-BE55-EE4655BE2122.jpeg
Please repost pics and even a video under white lighting.
What food(s) are you feeding?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?

OP
OP
Cmr102890

Cmr102890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please repost pics and even a video under white lighting.
What food(s) are you feeding?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
I feed a variety of frozen food mixed with mysis, brine shrimp,spatula, and krill every day but have also been feeding pellets. Definitely seems like labored breathing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lesion on the one clown's right gill cover looks like an infected injury. However, both clowns are breathing fast, so something else is going on.

How long have you had these clowns?
Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The look of the tank suggests this is a newer system and i see a haziness to the water. What is your ammonia and nitrate readings?
What is age of tank?.
how are you testing water?

I see Jay has chimed in. Please answer and combine all the answers which are important for assessment

OP
OP
Cmr102890

Cmr102890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The look of the tank suggests this is a newer system and i see a haziness to the water. What is your ammonia and nitrate readings?
What is age of tank?.
how are you testing water?

I see Jay has chimed in. Please answer and combine all the answers which are important for assessment
Tank is 3 months. Clowns have been in exactly 2 months. There is a bit of a haze. I do not have a quarantine tank. Have tested the water with API testers but also tested about 2 weeks ago with a LFS spin disk (ammonia 0, Nitrate 5). Can just check with API again tonight and see what it says. Clown goby, Lawnmower Blenny and corals seem unfazed. Just did a water change today but clowns have been odd for a few days.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree on injury from Jay and suspect false readings why I questioned how you were testing. This tank is likely going through mini spikes and chemistry changes as it continues to mature
Spin disc is a digital version of API and generally false on the ammonia levels
Hanna and salifert are more reliable and I encourage you to take a water sample to a store that does not use API test anything and see what readings they come up with and to confirm what results they come up with

OP
OP
Cmr102890

Cmr102890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on injury from Jay and suspect false readings why I questioned how you were testing. This tank is likely going through mini spikes and chemistry changes as it continues to mature
Hanna and salifert are more reliable and I encourage you to take a water sample to a store that does not use API test anything and see what readings they come up with and to confirm what results they come up with
If all tests well. Would you suspect some sort of parasite for the behavior of the fish?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If all tests well. Would you suspect some sort of parasite for the behavior of the fish?
I suspect injury playing a role as possible water quality

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a treatment tank, you won't be able to treat for the common causes of rapid breathing. The infected gill cover might get better on its own, but it looks pretty severe. You will just be severely limited to what you can dose in the display tank. One possible product is Ruby Reef Rally Pro....but because it is "reef safe" it isn't as effective as regular fish medications.

Jay

OP
OP
Cmr102890

Cmr102890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Did a freshwater dip on the small fish last night. Did not help me confirm or deny anything. Small fish is still breathing rapidly today. I guess I will have to just see how they react in the next 48 hours. Ordered Rally Pro in case I decide to try it. Will not be here until Wednesday. Otherwise working on solving the cloudiness in my tank but assume I just need to let it run its course if it’s a small spike

OP
OP
Cmr102890

Cmr102890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a treatment tank, you won't be able to treat for the common causes of rapid breathing. The infected gill cover might get better on its own, but it looks pretty severe. You will just be severely limited to what you can dose in the display tank. One possible product is Ruby Reef Rally Pro....but because it is "reef safe" it isn't as effective as regular fish medications.

Jay
I tried the rally pro and after day one found the small clownfish dead. Today is day 3 and the larger one definitely has a much better interest in food so I’m hoping it’s improving. I think I have hydroids in my tank. Do you think they could have caused the cut on my small clownfish? Any advice how to get rid of these? They are like long swaying strings that expand and contract and definitely react when I feed the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the rally pro and after day one found the small clownfish dead. Today is day 3 and the larger one definitely has a much better interest in food so I’m hoping it’s improving. I think I have hydroids in my tank. Do you think they could have caused the cut on my small clownfish? Any advice how to get rid of these? They are like long swaying strings that expand and contract and definitely react when I feed the tank.

I've had hydroids harm baby fish and seahorses, but not clownfish....and I've never seen hydroid stings cause a wound like that.

Jay

Back