Clownfish really fat and swims weirdly

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s not pregnant, it could be swelling up from a bacterial infection. I’d catch the clown, put in a quarantine tank and teat with antibiotics such as API Furan 2, or Seachem Kanaplex and metroplex for 10-14 days.

OP
OP
A

Alfie424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a spear tank to put him in does the treatment affect the corals ? My sister has a tank with no corals but there’s already a pair of clowns in there ....

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a quarantine tank , it will affect coral and you can’t NOT use it in the dt.

OP
OP
A

Alfie424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really weird I woke up and checked my fish and it looks like he’s not as fat now but he still swims abit weirdly . Do the worms spread ?

OP
OP
A

Alfie424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t seen it’s poop yet but I will look out for it .

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been in the tank since November last year and there’s about half an inch in size difference. The one which is rlly fat is the slightly smaller one but the two clownfish keep hanging out in the same spot and the fat clownfish had a spike thing on its stomach earlier . Is it possible that the smaller one has turned into the female ? Also, last week there was a nitrate spike but the parameters are all fine now .

The larger is the female and the smaller should have done a submission ritual. Twitching, letting the other know he understood she was to be the female.

You wrote that you had a nitrate spike and although fishes can handle some pretty high nitrate levels if ranges are crazy high like nitrate 160ppm which can quickly induce nitrate poisoning. It is one of the several of many contributing causes to such a negative outcome. Singularly one or a couple may have little impact, yet collectively can be really bad.

I'm not trying to be all gloom and doom here but you asked if it could be 'dropsy'.

If a fish is suffering from the some of the following symptoms it could be dropsy.

*Swollen belly
*Pine conning of scales which you indicated something was sticking out.
*Color of the clown becoming pale.
*Bulging eyes can develop.
*Ulcers on the body.
*Lack of appetite.
*Being sluggish

*I cannot remember all of the symptoms but these are indicators.

These symptoms will worsen over time and should be dealt with in a QT before becoming too late for treatment.

Medication generally used for treatment is Maracyn-Two.

I'm sorry you and your fish are having to deal with this.

OP
OP
A

Alfie424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger is the female and the smaller should have done a submission ritual. Twitching, letting the other know he understood she was to be the female.

You wrote that you had a nitrate spike and although fishes can handle some pretty high nitrate levels if ranges are crazy high like nitrate 160ppm which can quickly induce nitrate poisoning. It is one of the several of many contributing causes to such a negative outcome. Singularly one or a couple may have little impact, yet collectively can be really bad.

I'm not trying to be all gloom and doom here but you asked if it could be 'dropsy'.

If a fish is suffering from the some of the following symptoms it could be dropsy.

*Swollen belly
*Pine conning of scales which you indicated something was sticking out.
*Color of the clown becoming pale.
*Bulging eyes can develop.
*Ulcers on the body.
*Lack of appetite.
*Being sluggish

*I cannot remember all of the symptoms but these are indicators.

These symptoms will worsen over time and should be dealt with in a QT before becoming too late for treatment.

Medication generally used for treatment is Maracyn-Two.

I'm sorry you and your fish are having to deal with this.

The nitrate was around 80ppm which has never happened before in my tank . The male had a more swollen belly yesterday but he’s still swimming abit weird. Yesterday I saw the male doing the shaky dance and that’s why I was wondering if he was turning into a female and trying to be the dominant one because I haven’t seen him do that dance in a long time . Thx for the info and helping me figure out what this could be . If he has dropsy or internal parasites will it spread like ich?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate was around 80ppm which has never happened before in my tank . The male had a more swollen belly yesterday but he’s still swimming abit weird. Yesterday I saw the male doing the shaky dance and that’s why I was wondering if he was turning into a female and trying to be the dominant one because I haven’t seen him do that dance in a long time . Thx for the info and helping me figure out what this could be . If he has dropsy or internal parasites will it spread like ich?

80 is high, but we've all heard of much higher levels being dealt with so kudos for the catch on that. When fish are suddenly exposed to high nitrate levels, they will usually die within 24 to 48 hours of exposure which leads me to believe yours have been creeping up and not a sudden spike/shock/poisoning which over a long period of time can have an impact but it also sounds as though you may have managed that with perhaps some water changes? The bad part would be to send into nitrate shock by lowering the nitrates very low suddenly and not a stepdown method.

No, the male will remain male unless the female was to pass at which point he would become female if given some alone time in the tank. By adding a smaller clown in that event, the new female would remain just that.

Crypto (Marine ich) is more the common cold in the fish world yet we always dread it. I say that to say this; generally, your initial inquiry of 'dropsy' is not contagious per se but doesn't rule out the chance of other inhabitants with a poor immune system are also lower due to previously mentioned reasons the bacteria would be in the tank.

Your welcome for what I've been attempting to convey. That's why we're here. To discuss issues and help one another.

I'm still hopeful for your clown.

OP
OP
A

Alfie424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 is high, but we've all heard of much higher levels being dealt with so kudos for the catch on that. When fish are suddenly exposed to high nitrate levels, they will usually die within 24 to 48 hours of exposure which leads me to believe yours have been creeping up and not a sudden spike/shock/poisoning which over a long period of time can have an impact but it also sounds as though you may have managed that with perhaps some water changes? The bad part would be to send into nitrate shock by lowering the nitrates very low suddenly and not a stepdown method.

No, the male will remain male unless the female was to pass at which point he would become female if given some alone time in the tank. By adding a smaller clown in that event, the new female would remain just that.

Crypto (Marine ich) is more the common cold in the fish world yet we always dread it. I say that to say this; generally, your initial inquiry of 'dropsy' is not contagious per se but doesn't rule out the chance of other inhabitants with a poor immune system are also lower due to previously mentioned reasons the bacteria would be in the tank.

Your welcome for what I've been attempting to convey. That's why we're here. To discuss issues and help one another.

I'm still hopeful for your clown.

Oh I think the problem may be that I lowered the nitrates to quickly as I done a water change and didn’t feed them for a day and the nitrates went down to around 5ppm .

OP
OP
A

Alfie424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I put the clownfish in a bucket for a couple of hours while I add the treatment ?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back