Clownfish Tail Missing

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this under tank emergency and thought it might be better here...

Our mocha misbar clown jumped out of the tank Friday night. I found her (have no idea how long she was out) and put her back in the tank. Within an hour, all seemed well. All day yesterday, everything seemed fine. This morning, she's missing most of her tale and has a white milky blotch on one side. We have a 10g hospital tank set up and meds on hand, but I don't know how to treat her. Any help?
Thank you.

fullsizeoutput_21c1.jpeg

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put her in a 10g hospital tank with matched temp/salinity and dosed Metroplex & Kanaplex. Hope I've done the right thing.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in your tank

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's parted of a mated pair of mocha clowns and there are 5 very small green chromis. The rest are corals and inverts.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation, It turned out I have hitchhiker crab that is going for the fish tails.

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, she's in the hospital tank with Metro & Kana, but laying on her side and breathing heavy. Some threads say try to a freshwater dip, but I'm unsure.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping from the tank something startled or went after her.

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping from the tank something startled or went after her.
She's always been prone to having minor "freak outs" when startled. Her normal place is in the top corner of the tank. She jumped once before and we put high sides on the tank to prevent it again. They are 8" over the water level... Not sure how she did it.

I can't decide whether or not to do a freshwater dip. The symptoms resemble Brook -- which I suppose could be caused by the stressor event - tank jump. But if that's not what it is, I don't want to stress her even further.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't expect Brook - but rather, some tissue necrosis due to her time out of water. If you didn't hear her hit the floor and pick her up immediately, she could have some damage due to being partially dried out. Treat as a severe wound - antibiotics are a good place to begin.

~Bruce

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bath in Methylene blue would be the most gentle treatment that has been around for ages. It will help the clown to breathe a bit better and helps with minor bacterial infections. From there, if you don't see improvement, I'd highly recommend a bath in Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities. It also is very mild treatment. Lastly pull out the full on antibiotics: The trifecta of Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan2 is the best course for nasty bacterial infections. Best of luck with your little gal.

OP
OP
Salt1972

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She didn't make it. I've a detailed close up pic in case any of you guys might be able to assess what happened and/or make recommendations about what we could have done differently. I always feel such responsibility when we lose fish. It really makes me question whether or not to keep reefing.

kVkBwR3RSZWOhjWoi96q9A.jpg

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so sorry for your loss. :( you may want to get a lid for your tank to prevent future accidents.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry for your loss:(

I had an onyx clown jump around 6 weeks ago. Didn't find it till it was too late.

I tried pairing the one that was left with another clown. The new one beat up the one I had pretty good. I gave the beat up one a bath in Ruby Reef Rally for 90 minutes with an air stone in the container. Then I put into a qt with general cure. It's getting better by the day.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry. My guess is the stay outside just did too much damage. I hate losing fish. Right now I am battling a tank move and losing fish. I hate it!!!!! I just feel horrible inside and wish I could do more. We feel your pain.

Moving ahead, get a lid on the tank to prevent this happening again. Even I had borders around one tank that were 10" and some fish are just good jumpers. I now have tops and no issues since. They do not have to be expensive ones, I currently have just eggcrate, but I have used the clear mesh and screen framing material. Easy, clean, cheap.

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing. You can get the egg crate pretty cheap at Home Depot, and it's easy to cut to whatever size you need. I have a bow front and was able to customize it to fit mine perfectly. Painted it black and it's good to go. It has been modified a bit more now to fit some new lights, but works fine keeping the fish in the tank.
20180802_162909.jpeg
20180803_093601.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back