Clownfish with patches, help!

nbua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gone for a week and left my roommate in charge of taking care of my fish and this is what my 13 year old clownfish looked like when I got back (see attached picture and video).

I read a bunch about coral stings but this looked worse than most of the images. Thoughts? No other fish have the marks. I have no anemones, but I do have soft corals, including a few newer ones. Everything else about the tank seems normal. I’ve had the tank 13 years and never had diseases so this is new to me. 473215C5-C070-4EF4-B075-C63E72B08B5F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1128.MOV
    3 MB
OP
OP
nbua

nbua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hosting trauma to me. What are the new corals?
This one is the newest one large enough. I forget what it’s called, sorry. I’m trash at coral names. Also my roommate said she saw the clown trying to make friends with it.

Attachments

• 73A17457-FABB-4677-B965-6F081FBDCA09.jpeg
    73A17457-FABB-4677-B965-6F081FBDCA09.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 24

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is the newest one large enough. I forget what it’s called, sorry. I’m trash at coral names. Also my roommate said she saw the clown trying to make friends with it.
While it does look like severe hosting trauma, I also don't like the way it is swimming in the video, kind of waggling in the wrong direction. I don't know if that soft coral can sting - I usually see this issue with Euphyllia corals.
Is the fish still feeding o.k.?

Jay

OP
OP
nbua

nbua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hosting trauma to me. What are the new corals?
This one is the newest one large enough. I forget what it’s called, sorry. I’m trash at coralAlso my roommate said she saw the clown trying to make friends with it.
While it does look like severe hosting trauma, I also don't like the way it is swimming in the video, kind of waggling in the wrong direction. I don't know if that soft coral can sting - I usually see this issue with Euphyllia corals.
Is the fish still feeding o.k.?

Jay
Is he not swimming like normal? He’s always looked like that haha.

I also got a hammer tip but that was a month ago or more. He’s feeding just fine.

If it is stings, do I do anything? Or does he know to just leave that coral alone now?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is the newest one large enough. I forget what it’s called, sorry. I’m trash at coralAlso my roommate said she saw the clown trying to make friends with it.

Is he not swimming like normal? He’s always looked like that haha.

I also got a hammer tip but that was a month ago or more. He’s feeding just fine.

If it is stings, do I do anything? Or does he know to just leave that coral alone now?
So - I missed that this is a 13 year old fish. The odd swimming is likely age related. If these spots indeed showed up over a few days, then I would continue to say hosting trauma. However, older fish can develop skin lesions/cancer, but those grow slowly over weeks to months.
Jay

OP
OP
nbua

nbua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - I missed that this is a 13 year old fish. The odd swimming is likely age related. If these spots indeed showed up over a few days, then I would continue to say hosting trauma. However, older fish can develop skin lesions/cancer, but those grow slowly over weeks to months.
Jay
Okay thanks! Is there something that I should do about it, like get an anemone? How do I help him? I was nervous of the anemone moving and stinging my corals so I didn’t get one.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks! Is there something that I should do about it, like get an anemone? How do I help him? I was nervous of the anemone moving and stinging my corals so I didn’t get one.
I don’t see that adding an anemone would help - clowns live full lives in aquariums without them.
Jay

OP
OP
nbua

nbua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see that adding an anemone would help - clowns live full lives in aquariums without them.
Jay
Okay thanks! I just didn’t want him to keep going back to the coral and killing himself. But I don’t need to worry?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks! I just didn’t want him to keep going back to the coral and killing himself. But I don’t need to worry?
I've never heard of a coral actually killing a clownfish, it just leaves them with dark spots. They learn to avoid them.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back