Clowns piling on top of each other at night?

shimmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to start an ocellaris harem. I had one jump out in the beginning(I have a lid now), so I get nervous and check on them at least once a night. Most of the time when I do 75%+ of them are in a pile together in a corner. Is this normal behavior?

OP
OP
S

shimmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal.. all 4 of mine do that every night.
Thank you. I've now noticed its the same 8 every time, same 4 are left out.

Also one is super tiny, seems healthy but I don't think it's big enough to eat pellets. I've tried pellets, crushed pellets, mysis, brine, masstick, & reef frenzy nano. I have yet to see it eat anything. I'm assuming it's probably finding something to eat while I'm not looking but I'm not sure. I have a breeder box and I tried putting him in it to eat, but I think that just stressed him out.. any advice?

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to start an ocellaris harem. I had one jump out in the beginning(I have a lid now), so I get nervous and check on them at least once a night. Most of the time when I do 75%+ of them are in a pile together in a corner. Is this normal behavior?
It's usually a good sign if they sleep next to each other as it shows they trust each other.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you don't have any host anemones. If you can get multiple anemones that'll help to keep them calm and lessen the chances of them jumping out (instead of jumping they dive into their host anemones).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A few of mine do that also and in the morning they go their own way

OP
OP
S

shimmer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you don't have any host anemones. If you can get multiple anemones that'll help to keep them calm and lessen the chances of them jumping out (instead of jumping they dive into their host anemones).
I have two nems. They have yet to discover them. One(nem) went on a walk this morning right into my gyre. Now it's in an acclimation box with about half the tentacles it had this morning. I think its going to pull through though.

I am in the market for a few more BTAs but I want something different than rainbow and my lfs wants $200-1000 for what they have and that just seems absurd to me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back