Co2 scrubber media

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really wanna raise my ph so I plan to start co2 scrubbing. I have a bunch of spare media but I don't have a specific co2 reactor. Does the media need a specific reactor or could I put this in just a regular media reactor? Thanks

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret buying the expensive reactor (ice cap large one thingy ) for that media, if I had to do it again I would have just bought the dual reactor from BRS and call it a day

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to buy those fancy reactors or could I use media reactor
Any reactor that directs the flow of the fluid should work and that you can add some water in it without touching the media IMO

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can use any media reactor for this. I bought single Co2 reactor from BRS and it worked great for me.
Whats special about it?
Any reactor that directs the flow of the fluid should work and that you can add some water in it without touching the media IMO
Fluid? Is there a special fluid for it?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really wanna raise my ph so I plan to start co2 scrubbing. I have a bunch of spare media but I don't have a specific co2 reactor. Does the media need a specific reactor or could I put this in just a regular media reactor? Thanks
It's up to you. I just use a TLF 150 reactor plumbed to the skimmer air intake. It's not pretty, but functional. If I did it again, I'd just use a 10" canister filter and be done with it.

PXL_20221213_002111341.jpg

Blake Fabian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy this and skip the hassle and buy this...

Using any reactor not designed for CO2 and you'd have to find the appropriate adapters and parts to fit onto your skimmers air intake. To answer your above question, an air line is necessary; yes. Place the air line on the "exit/out" port of your reactor and connect the other end to the open air intake port on your skimmer.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy this and skip the hassle and buy this...

Using any reactor not designed for CO2 and you'd have to find the appropriate adapters and parts to fit onto your skimmers air intake. To answer your above question, an air line is necessary; yes. Place the air line on the "exit/out" port of your reactor and connect the other end to the open air intake port on your skimmer.
That's the ticket. If I didn't already have the TLF setup doing nothing, I would of bought that!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer? If not then don't bother with this. You need to dose Kalk if your trying to boost ph.

Sounds like you need to do some reading on how co2 scrubbers work and how they are applied. It's not a cheap endeavor...

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer? If not then don't bother with this. You need to dose Kalk if your trying to boost ph.

Sounds like you need to do some reading on how co2 scrubbers work and how they are applied. It's not a cheap endeavor...
I plan on skimming. I just need ways to raise ph without dosing

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does your media last with the recirculating setup. I'm considering it since my cup drains out to a diy skim locker.
That's not mine I just found it on the internet and used it as an example. I've done it before and noticed a 4x time increase before having to replace the media.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First--NO WATER goes through the media.. That'd be really bad for the tank, just the skimmer AIR inlet. I can't tell if that was clear from the conversation above.

You can use any cylinder that can hold the media. Just put a little sponge in the bottom, stick the hose down into it and pour the media on top of the sponge then cap it off so there's only a small air inlet. (The sponge keeps the media from clogging the hose). The air will be pulled through the media from the air inlet at the top and be scrubbed as it passes over the media.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I made one from a Voss water bottle before. I'd make a cheap one and see if it works well for you and you want to keep up with it before you buy anything purpose specific.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back