CO2 Scrubber Questions

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I am setting up a new tank on the same level as my home. Assuming I will be running into the same persistent 7.9pH as I have in my current tank. This new tank will be running a skimmer (OCTO 110-SSS) which is new to me because my biocube is skimmer-less.

Question 1:
- Would you think I would have some pH success with a co2 scrubber?

Question 2:
- How would I regulate this co2 scrubber so it does not blow up my pH? I am thinking about doing one of a few things.

I can invest in a controller and program the probe to open a NC solenoid on a Y splitter like most folks do. My only concern is the all-mighty dollar. I do eventually want to have an Apex or Hydros. But we all know the expenses of setting up a new tank, and ~$1000 is not something I particularly want to spend on an Apex + scrubber + solenoid + Apex pigtail + optional OCTO recirculation cap.

So, what is a cheap way of creating this automation? I am finding Milwaukee Instrument pH controllers for sub-$200 but they all have a plug outlet as their accessory port to operate some sort of fluid pump. I do not know how I could integrate a NC solenoid onto a standard wall outlet. I am not electrically inclined by any means but I can do basic soldering. However, I do not understand the potential repercussions of adding something so small to a (120V????) outlet.

Please leave your thoughts below:
Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all,
I am setting up a new tank on the same level as my home. Assuming I will be running into the same persistent 7.9pH as I have in my current tank. This new tank will be running a skimmer (OCTO 110-SSS) which is new to me because my biocube is skimmer-less.

Question 1:
- Would you think I would have some pH success with a co2 scrubber?

Question 2:
- How would I regulate this co2 scrubber so it does not blow up my pH? I am thinking about doing one of a few things.

I can invest in a controller and program the probe to open a NC solenoid on a Y splitter like most folks do. My only concern is the all-mighty dollar. I do eventually want to have an Apex or Hydros. But we all know the expenses of setting up a new tank, and ~$1000 is not something I particularly want to spend on an Apex + scrubber + solenoid + Apex pigtail + optional OCTO recirculation cap.

So, what is a cheap way of creating this automation? I am finding Milwaukee Instrument pH controllers for sub-$200 but they all have a plug outlet as their accessory port to operate some sort of fluid pump. I do not know how I could integrate a NC solenoid onto a standard wall outlet. I am not electrically inclined by any means but I can do basic soldering. However, I do not understand the potential repercussions of adding something so small to a (120V????) outlet.

Please leave your thoughts below:
Thank you!
I ran one and regulated ph via my protein skimmer but you can run it also to outside air source. The media does a good job of control with sulfur like material which when ph is low will stop flow to increase the Ph level

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a scrubber without a skimmer, just an Airpump attached to a scrubber with lime….it’s at 8.25 and has never got that high…usually stays from 7.9 to 8.15

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an outlet with the Milwaukee controller, you can buy a 24v solenoid on McMaster-Carr like this, plus a24v power supply from Amazon. I have this setup on my scrubber and it opens the valve when PH hits 8.31 and closes again when it drops to 8.3.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used a scrabber myself, so I can’t comment on that.

But if you can get a decent amount of Alk consumption, using Sodium Carbonate/Hydroxide or Calcium Hydroxide to supplement it would lower the acidity of the water quite effectively.

You can also use a combination of them with a higher ph supplement at night to offset the difference.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a scrubber without a skimmer, just an Airpump attached to a scrubber with lime….it’s at 8.25 and has never got that high…usually stays from 7.9 to 8.15
I suppose I should really just run a scrubber and see what it does to my pH. Perhaps start with a recirculating scrubber. This tank may run higher pH regardless because way more surface area and an external overflow box.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran one and regulated ph via my protein skimmer but you can run it also to outside air source. The media does a good job of control with sulfur like material which when ph is low will stop flow to increase the Ph level
So basically just plug my skimmer into the Milwaukee? That’s pretty genius.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back