Coast to coast overflow bottom drilled on 8ft tank

Missbillygoat993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as my tank stand is coming along nicely with the help of the guys here on how to build it properly I want to know your thoughts about an 8 ft tank. It want to use tempered glass on the front and side. I want it to have a coast to coast overflow on the back side (longer side). I have asked two aquarium makers here in my place. They told me that having an 8ft acrylic division in the glass to serve as my internal overflow box would cause me issues in the long run.
here are my specs for the tank:
8ftx 24x 24
1/2 Tempered glass
Internal overflow
Bottom drilled
Bean animal drain

reason I want a bottom drilled tank is because I don’t like to see the pipea at the back.
Behind the tank is a solid wall.

they also told me that external OB is better though it will have visible pipes so their recommendation is a peninsula type tank wherein the overflow box will be put in the shorter side of the tank which will be concealed by a cabinet. it will still be a coast to coast OB but side drilled and only shorter.

so I need your thoughts and inputs base on your experience.
whicH is better? And why?

I have seen the IM NUVO 100 INT and the reviews are all good but then again it’s a shorter/smaller tank.

I live in the Philippines btw, so I don’t know if the weather will affect on what they stated as problems with the acrylic binding/silicon to the glass.

May husband are fully supportive with my hobby but we have a hardwood solid floor so if the tank breaks or have leakage that will damage the floor that would be the end of my hobby. PLEASE HELP.

attached are the plans for my tank I saw this tank design online and I am thinking if it’s possible for an 8ft to have this. I wanted 3 drains and 2 returns so I ask the aquarium maker to revise it.
the space for the OB is 4-5 inches.
I also wanted the space.

I also need advice on what size of drain and return pipes should I use.
D1F8B0FD-4670-4B73-8EC4-F766F7603816.png
13A39BC0-FC3D-41C7-B2BF-B522A627D2B7.png

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea about your specific problem but.....

I am not 100% sure but is 1/2” thick enough for an 8x2x2 tank?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own tank. I put an external coast to coast on the back. To hide the pipes i painted the ones in the box black. The back side that you could see thru and see the pipes is covered with black cloth drapery lining, as it the back of the box. You can not see thru it, so the pipes can not be seen. Since the back is also my tank room you cant see any of that junk either. It can be removed to clean the back with a magnet cleaner.

Overflow_on.jpg

The box is on the left and all you can see is the reflection of the rocks.
If you could see thru it you would see my reactors. The black pipes are sea swirls in the tank. I shorten them up and made clear ones so they are not as visable since iI took this picture.

water.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back