Colt Corals

220Gallon-Tim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening R2R Crew,

Apologies, I have been MIA for a while. I recently received some Colt Corals from a friend. He had to trim down his colt corals because they were growing out of control. Since I have put them in my aquarium they have been very hard to glue to rocks due to the slime that comes from the colt coral. I even tried to use a fishing line to tie them down and they started to break off and detach themselves from the root. Has anyone had success getting them to attach to rock? I started to think since they were recently cut from the existing rock they may need to heal before I try to glue them down. Thoughts or insight on this inquiry.

Thanks much. See photos of one completely detached from rock and one that is starting to detach from a piece of rock.

IMG_8210.jpg IMG_8211.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers are notoriously hard to attach to rock. Think trying to glue or attach jello to anything. :) That is more rics and mushrooms than leathers, but still.

I have been most successful by trapping the coral between two rocks or shoving it in a tight hole in a rock and it will eventually attach and you can move it. Or put in a basket with rocks and wait for it to attach and glue the rock where you want it. Can take a couple weeks to actually attach. Be patient.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colts are exceedingly slimy--. Someone above mentioned trapping it between rocks. That's what I would suggest. Anything else might tick it off and it will just produce even more mucas than before.

OP
OP

220Gallon-Tim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much,

I purchased two baskets and placed the Colt Coral in sections that wedge the rock against the coral. The basket prevents them from being blown around yet still receiving flow. Now it’s a waiting game.

thanks again!

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the fishing line and then rubber band about a year ago with one and killed it. A month ago, I got another one and just wedged it between 2 rock and it worked great and much less stress i think.

OP
OP

220Gallon-Tim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly think this is the beat idea. I have so much Colt Coral though . I have to adjust the flow in my tank. When I wedge them the flow pull them out the wedge.

Its a tuff balancing act with other coral in the tank. SMH.. This is like a full time job! Lol.

thanks all for the input.

Tim

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but something I've done in the past that worked well for me was to stick a plastic toothpick through the coral about a half inch from the cut end. Then use a rubberband to loosely hold the toothpick against the rock you want the coral on. Once the coral has plenty of time to attach, spin the toothpick just a little then slowly pull it out. This has worked for all types of softies, devils hand, colt, Kenya, toadstool, etc. As with anything in this hobby... patience is key...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back