Concerns with Transferring bio media to QT

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering purchasing some fish via a sale and hold them in a QT tank while my new DT gets up and running. My current tank is a 22 gallon that has a bag of MarinePure media gems and 25-30 pounds of live rock that’s been in there since November. I got the 22 gallon used so the bacteria is well established. I’m considering taking half the bag (45 grams) of marine pure and moving that to a QT tank. I have more media blocks on order that I’ll add back to the 22 gallon. Should I be concerned about removing that bacteria from the tank.

Also, how long does it take for bacteria to culture on to the new media? I couldn’t find an answer to that here.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to be concerned about it impacting your tank. You can test out the biomedia to see if It works for a qt by ghost feeding or adding some ammonia. Alternatively you can just dump a big bottle of cycling bacteria in the qt with a biosponge

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering purchasing some fish via a sale and hold them in a QT tank while my new DT gets up and running. My current tank is a 22 gallon that has a bag of MarinePure media gems and 25-30 pounds of live rock that’s been in there since November. I got the 22 gallon used so the bacteria is well established. I’m considering taking half the bag (45 grams) of marine pure and moving that to a QT tank. I have more media blocks on order that I’ll add back to the 22 gallon. Should I be concerned about removing that bacteria from the tank.

Also, how long does it take for bacteria to culture on to the new media? I couldn’t find an answer to that here.
I would do it in small bits. Transfer 1/4 of it and replace it with new media, and do a bit more next week so you don't take all the bacteria at once. (Maybe this is incorrect so correct me, but that's what I've always done with fresh and salt and never had any issues.)

But you don't need to be concerned about it messing anything up.
You can cycle the tank with feeding a bit or adding bottled bacteria or bottled bacteria

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back