condy nem in nano tank

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so...i just went into a lfs with my grandma....and she got me a condy nem for my ten gallon nano. i'm not sure what to feed it, and i'm seeing posts about them eating fish? the only fish in the tank is a 2 inch perc......
any other info you guys have to share would be great, it's a really pretty purple[not that the color has anything to do with my care of it...], and i want to keep it happy:wink:
thx

I

inactive

View Badges
I would remove the nem, nems are horrible for nano tanks for many reasons.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I would remove the anemone as well. Condis are fish eaters, and while I believe some nano tanks can house an anemone successfully(BTA), it is more of the exception than the rule.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It will get much too big and your clown will be happier if you take it out. I had one and my percs were terrified of it. Stung them when they first tried to hop into it. Anemones are best left for bigger tanks, except maybe mini carpets and flower anemones.

OP
OP
blueridgereef

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, thanks guys. if anyone knows of someone in central florida who wants one, do me a favor and let me know, K?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a very nice gesture from your grandmother and good for you for taking the high road and finding it a new home.

Do you know if your LFS would allow you to trade it back in for store credit? If you want something that will do well in a 10g and may host your clowns look into getting a frogspawn. If you were closer I would cut you off a few heads from mine.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rbta's are your only choice of true anemone for a nano - but they require some care

imo the best option is hairy shrooms (rhodactus sp.) - mine think they are an anemone
they are reasonably priced, hardy, thrive in nanos, and will do just fine with even pc lighting

this is an very old pic from my nano - the purple/brown ones. the green one is a type of elephant ear - also exceptably despite what some may say. mine never ate my clowns and they have been together for 5+ years :)
aug07clowns.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
blueridgereef

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool, thanks guys. i already have frogspawn...my mom got me some last time we were down at wwc :D . i'm going to post it on my local reef club forums, hopefully someone local can help me out :)

deepbluesea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the hairy shrooms 2 or 3 make a nice surogate host for clowns and they wont wander into your overflows and powerheads to be mulched.

I

inactive

View Badges
Keep in mind, some of the larger mushrooms can EAT clownfish. Acutally, any large mushroom can so be careful. I have seen many species do it!

jascymcl

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had condy with ocellaris,maroons,clarks,and cinnamos all living in the nem.Never had a problem, but I had a carpet eat 6 different maroons.It is a 50/50 deal.

OP
OP
blueridgereef

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had condy with ocellaris,maroons,clarks,and cinnamos all living in the nem.Never had a problem, but I had a carpet eat 6 different maroons.It is a 50/50 deal.
yeah, that's what i'm hearing. it seems to be doing okay at the moment, just took some shrimp, but if i can find it a new home i think that'll be best. if not, then i'll just try my hardest, lol!

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well my condy lived threw just about anything, poor lighting and poor water quality, except when my dad decided to throw copper into the tank! Very hardy anemone, so I don't think you'll have to worry about it's health just about the other tankmates.

OP
OP
blueridgereef

blueridgereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^cool, thanks. it seems to have found a spot that it likes, lucky for me it's where i wanted it :p
it seems to be happy atm, but i'm still a little worried in the long run. you live pretty close to me sara, i don't suppose you want another o_O

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back