Confusing measurements from refractometer and hanna sanity tester (conductivity)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still do not understand whether it uses its ATC during calibration or not,.

If you calibrate using the 35 ppt standard packet at, say, 20 deg C, and read that same packet at 25 deg C, does it read 35 ppt, or something else?
I thought I illustrated that in post #8 (although in reverse).

In the past I have calibrated with the solution at room temperature, and the device measures incorrectly at tank temperature.

I'll do it again shortly both with a new Hanna sachet and with your DIY 3.29%WT NaCl solution made with reagent grade NaCl for comparison.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I illustrated that in post #8 (although in reverse).

In the past I have calibrated with the solution at room temperature, and the device measures incorrectly at tank temperature.

I'll do it again shortly both with a new Hanna sachet and with your DIY 3.29%WT NaCl solution made with reagent grade NaCl for comparison.

My proposed experiment would prove whether calibration at 25 deg C is needed, and I assumed they would use the known change in seawater conductivity as a function of temp to correct. It appears that your device did not do that correction correctly.

If I understand the pictures in post 8 correctly to be the same calibrated device reading at two different temps, in the same fluid, and getting two different answers, then the temperature compensation used is clearly incorrect. It is overcompensating for the lower conductivity as temp drops.

That leads me to conclude that one needs to calibrate at the sample temp and not allow any correction. As you indicated you do.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back