Connecting multiple tanks

stevensbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to connect multiple tanks together to 1 sump with 1 return pump. If I do that will all the tanks have the same flow rate? Ore prety close anyway?

Brennin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to connect multiple tanks together to 1 sump with 1 return pump. If I do that will all the tanks have the same flow rate? Ore prety close anyway?
Depends on how you plumb it. If the tanks are equal distance from the return pump with the same amount of pipe and the same number of bends etc. then in theory they will be close. But if there is a difference in the plumbing then the head pressure difference will mean the closest tank gets the majority…

my suggestion for two tanks on one sump is multiple return pumps.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple return pumps or you could simply put valves in the plumbing. like ball valves or gate valves. Then you can adjust the flow going to each tank. Some people build manifolds to provide water to Multiple tanks and pieces of equipment with many ball valves run by a large pump.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not have same turnover rate as flow depends on head, length of pipe, elbows etc

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this. 75g + 20g with common 20g sump. 2 return pumps.

OP
OP
S

stevensbud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how you plumb it. If the tanks are equal distance from the return pump with the same amount of pipe and the same number of bends etc. then in theory they will be close. But if there is a difference in the plumbing then the head pressure difference will mean the closest tank gets the majority…

my suggestion for two tanks on one sump is multiple ren pumps.Ok thatk

Depends on how you plumb it. If the tanks are equal distance from the return pump with the same amount of pipe and the same number of bends etc. then in theory they will be close. But if there is a difference in the plumbing then the head pressure difference will mean the closest tank gets That's what I was thinking. Thank youthe majority…

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back