Constant ammonia .08 PPM to .12 PPM

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is under stocked, I barely feed and I can’t get my ammonia below .10 PPM and I have no idea why. I am using a Hanna tester.

I have a 75 gallon tank
I have two tidal 110 hob filters
Large protein skimmer

5 inch foxface
5 inch Niger trigger
2 inch sail fin tang
3 inch blue spotted puffer.

The tank is almost a year old! I did dose with copper 7-8 months ago because it’s fish only and didn’t take the rock out, could that be it?
I have red slime algae on the rocks.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5B446F73-E420-4D76-8896-4A3075BFCAC5.jpeg 194C93AA-0AA4-4845-BBDC-8240994E93C4.jpeg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always ammonia present in very low concentrations. The test you are using is within the accuracy limitations. You are fine.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always ammonia present in very low concentrations. The test you are using is within the accuracy limitations. You are fine.
Thank you, the Niger trigger has gotten flukes twice in 3 months that’s what caused my initial concern.

I do a 15% water change a week.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don’t think it’s this I’m jumping to .20 now. I’ve noticed less algue growing I haven’t had to scrap the glass.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the variations in ammonia you're seeing are what any stocked tank would see, it's not zero, there's always a low level in flux especially after feeding events etc

there isn't a reason to test for it in display systems, because the only time it can rise is when dead fish litter the setup and you don't need a tester to identify nor remedy that condition.

testing is handy for quarantine setups where very little surface area exists. that pic above shows rocks in a post-cycle setup; cease testing ammonia in that system.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the variations in ammonia you're seeing are what any stocked tank would see, it's not zero, there's always a low level in flux especially after feeding events etc

there isn't a reason to test for it in display systems, because the only time it can rise is when dead fish litter the setup and you don't need a tester to identify nor remedy that condition.

testing is handy for quarantine setups where very little surface area exists. that pic above shows rocks in a post-cycle setup; cease testing ammonia in that system.
I believe you but something isn’t adding up. My water has odor and I’m testing .15.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is recent tank pic

If you convert that reading above which is nh4 to the nh3 form which is for reefing that number even at the highest is well under average reef running conditions. Pics should line up with that am thinking

If the tank looks horribly out of whack that'll mean something

Also to verify: what's the stated source for ammonia elevation

Is it excessive feeding, or dead fish? Those are the two known causatives for reefing ammonia noncontrol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back