Convict chalices lets talk about them

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since these are now popping up quite regularly I figured I would start a thread just like the rainbow chalices thread so people can discuss them and how to best care for them. So let's have some fun. All of this info I have gathered so far I believe is accurate but correct me if I am wrong I will not take it personally.

Origins
The original convict and the name came from a local jersey reefer here pnoy who brought this piece in a several years ago. Pnoy moved back home around the end of 2010 and broke down his systems. The original colony was sent to someone for safe keeping. Several people got frags from pnoy including the coral kings right here on r2r. The chalice got a reputation for being a slow grower and being very very sensitive. The original colors was the now famous green and purple but this one also had the orange and yellow highlights on the coralites.

(as a note I am going to skip over the setting sun and rising sun variants, we can do another thread on that

Over the last year or so
Obviously they have popped up a lot over the last year or so. Randy o from arc put up a stunning piece that was almost exactly like the of convict but not from pnoy. I saw this one in person and it was a stunner. Then of course they flooded eBay and other wholesales around the same time. Huge colonies were coming in and the prices plummeted on them. These of course were just the standard green and purple striped pieces with little to no highlights on them. These pieces sell for around 100$ for a large frag now and just about every vendor has a chunk somewhere.

Orange and yellow variants
A little while after this glut of striped ones came in some really spectacular pieces with the orange and yellow highlights started to come back in. Rocky mountain frags got the hypnosis, cornbread has his piece, the eBay vendor has been selling largeer pieces, cherry corals has the super cell, and sexy corals has the sexy criminal. These pieces do fetch a premium over the regular pieces but again more and more are coming in.

Care
Just like the original piece, convicts seem to be a bit more temperamental than other chalices. Low light and low flow seem to be the standard procedures to keep these pieces happy. Again I stress low light and low flow. Also, since these pieces are pretty much all wild caught and just brought into captivity, be very careful with fresh cuts. Healed, encrusting pieces seem to have a better track record which is what I would be looking for. My own personal convict I got from reefers cove and lives on my sand bed in the shade where it has been happy. At first I had it up on a frag rack and it got a bit bleached but has soon since recovered. Ask the vendor or fellow reefer where they are keeping theirs and how long it has been in their system.

Of course LET'S SEE SOME PICS!!!! Also feel free to chime in with your care tips and how your pieces have been doing. I think the rainbow chalice thread has been very illuminating and hopefully this one will be as well.

OP
OP
M

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I forgot the TCK Inferno, so add that one to the list of orange type convicts.

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping this would take off I have a very small piece of JKR's convict. It is green and purplish with some redish highlights coming on. I would love to see a big piece I can not find any pics online. Pics are terrible sorry but here is mine.

20120821_214809.jpg

20120821_214751.jpg

20120821_182603.jpg

You can kind of see the reddish in this one terrible pic I know but it is all I can get with my cell camera.

20120821_183156.jpg

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump with pic :cool: surely there are some convicts out there.....

20120903_185257.jpg

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GB has a pretty nasty one up for sale right now. For sure a top 5, though I think that some of these orange tinted convicts are all from the same colony or source.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pic, but this is from GB. IMO this is the nicest convict morph yet. Also has been much more hardy and faster growing then the others. And yes, i believe they all have come from the same colony.

IMG_2529.jpg

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pic, but this is from GB. IMO this is the nicest convict morph yet. Also has been much more hardy and faster growing then the others. And yes, i believe they all have come from the same colony.

IMG_2529.jpg
Sickk!! Was this the one where tons of people on here, myself included, were bidding on? Did you get a frag from the winner or did you acquire another piece from GB?

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this was the second piece that went off at auction. It was before they really started bidding up this piece. Its a top 5 piece for me, no doubt.

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one will probably go much higher in my opinion. As much as youd like to lambast it as a small piece, it is one of the best values in terms of convict type chalices. I see ~6ish eyes, so I wouldnt be surprised to see this hit 150 per eye. It would cost much more once its in the hands of a vendor/propagator. (Not bashing anyone in this).

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darren can you post how you care for your convict type chalices? Par and flow?

Thanks

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its already being discussed in this thread ;)

Its a looker for sure.

Emoney

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2529.jpg

I.got a nice piece from same vendor ..I have org convict and a few others but this one stands out above the rest ..almost glows under mh lighting

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darren can you post how you care for your convict type chalices? Par and flow?

Thanks

Like most of the "striped" chalices they prefer low, indirect light (approx 50-75 par) and moderate flow. I have mine under T5's and it has been very healthy and happy. It has never showed any signs of stress or bleaching like so many of the striped chalices have. I have found that feeding them is a huge benefit with their health and survival...

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your's? The one I have has really nice color but growth? Pfft... it grows so slow I would have to compare pics to see it.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed your's? The one I have has really nice color but growth? Pfft... it grows so slow I would have to compare pics to see it.

Reef caviar, but you have to turn the flow off and let it sit on the eye for about an hour and it will suck it in.

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to bump this, as I am seeing a lot more convict/pinstripe chalices up for sale on ebay, and Id like to see more peoples in tank photos or hear their experiences :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 58 54.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back