• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Convict Tang - free - HOWEVER, READ CAREFULLY - SOLD!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will NOT ship!

This is a very risky free fish, and I will tell you why below. For anyone that quarantines their fish, do NOT buy this fish. For anyone that is fairly certain that their fish are "immune" or "resistant" to disease (or has never quarantined) read on.

This fish has a BIG history. It was part of a large batch of fish I purchased in April. I proceeded to treat it like hundreds before it. This batch of fish was UNSUCCESSFUL. Copper (at 2PPM, 2.5PPM, and 3PPM), Chloroquine Phosphate (at 1.25% recommended dose and daily adjustments to adjust), and THREE hydrogen peroxide baths (two at 150ppm for 30 minutes, one a 175ppm for ONE HOUR) -- and normal metroplex/prazi dosages -- this batch of fish continued to show signs of, what appeared to be velvet. I also think this fish had prazi-resistant flukes which I was able to rid after I did hyposalinity for 30 days.

This fish NEVER showed symptoms like its' tankmates. It has always been healthy and unaffected by any of the parasites. A month after the last fish died, he is all that remains and is still healthy. It is POSSIBLE that hyposalinity cured this fish. I truly don't know what the ailment was though it looked like velvet after some failed attempts, and like flukes after others, and like brooklynella after others. I am truly stumped, this batch of fish has strained me and is the only time I've ever been unable to be 100% sure I cured the fish.

So -- could this fish be clear? Yep. It's probably MORE likely that it is extremely hardy, resistant, and a true survivor. With my 180 gallon and 500 gallon systems being completely parasite free, I cannot move myself to place this fish in either. I have lots of healthy fish that I've spent much effort to keep parasite-free -- I cannot feel comfortable after all this batch put me through adding it.

THIS IS WHY IT IS FREE. I could not bring myself to cull it, which was the original plan.

Buyer beware though. If you feel your tank of immune/resistant fish can handle it (as this individual fish clearly can/has) -- you're free to take it. Again, pick-up only. Indianapolis area.

The fish itself is about 4 inches, and a good weight.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B? First person that came to mind. But if not shipping that changes things. Interesting case history. Will be even more interesting putting it with other fish.

Have you considered testing with a molly to see if it still has transmissible disease?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B? First person that came to mind. But if not shipping that changes things. Interesting case history. Will be even more interesting putting it with other fish.

Have you considered testing with a molly to see if it still has transmissible disease?
Yes but I killed three black mollies trying, they got stuck to the powerhead after transitioning to saltwater slowly over several hours. I should have turned it off, as "freshwater fish" aren't used to that kind of current. Bad oversight on my part. I got sick of killing fish needlessly so I am just withdrawing from this one and cutting my losses.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I have one more question, feel free not to answer if it’s too nosy. Why won’t you ship this fish? Given your careful (and responsible) disclosure, seems like it would be a hard fish to home.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I have one more question, feel free not to answer if it’s too nosy. Why won’t you ship this fish? Given your careful (and responsible) disclosure, seems like it would be a hard fish to home.
I cannot be offended. I don't want to ship for a few reasons, but the biggest is that I am pretty lazy and unless it was absolutely necessary I don't want to ship. The fish has been through a lot already. Secondly, shipping one fish is $75-100 depending on where since I am a residential shipper -- done it before, it was a COMPLETE disaster and 2 days late and 2/7 fish made the trip. I was devastated.

Also, the fish is "SOLD" with a "backup offer". Two local Indmas.org reefers reached out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back