Copepod/Phytoplankton Ratios

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on setting up a copepod/phytoplankton setup with my refugium to sort of keep all my tanks (display/refugium/quarantine for now) seeded nicely since I do plan on having a dragonette. What I plan on having is 2 ongoing setups for both phyto and copepods, and just regularly harvesting every other one at a time. Though, I guess my question is, how much of each should I be doing? Plus, what sort of schedule should I be looking at? I think I have an understanding, but I haven't ever done a saltwater tank, def my first time doing things like pods, so just sort of need someone to tell me if I have it right, or where I go off the rails LOL.

I have 4 containers right now that hold 16 cups (1 gallon or 4.26 liters), but not sure if I should be doing more or less of the phyto compared to the copepods since I will have to harvest it more often. If what I was reading was correct, I should be harvesting my phyto every week to ten days, whereas copepods could take up to a month. I was planning on offsetting these, so one phyto I would harvest on Saturday, and the other phyto I was going to harvest on Wedsdays type pattern, taking about 2/3s each time. Then every 3rd or 4th harvest I was going to alternate between completely draining the containers and using about 1/3 of the other to seed it. (so about once a month for each container). Doing something similar with the copepods, but more every other week harvesting them, and every two or three months they would be fully cleaned and seeded. I would just basically wipe them out, and then dip them in some 90-proof rubbing alcohol and let them dry fully before refilling, just to keep any bacteria out and get the waste out of the small corners.

Though, would I end up with way too much phyto this way? At first, I bought about half this size of container for the phyto specifically, thinking that I would need smaller cultures of those since I was harvesting more often, though, the more videos I see, the more people seem to be using larger containers for the phyto or seem to have a lot of cultures going in comparison to their copepods. So then I wasn't sure and ended up buying more of the larger ones.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pour phyto into my pod culture until the water turns gatorade green, below is the pic of my pod culture. About a week later I will notice the water is not so green anymore, so I pour more in.

I'm not culturing phyto right now cause I have plenty, but yes, phyto is cultured after about a week, pods take 3-4 weeks.

To harvest my pods, I completely drain the container through a sieve, then I clean the container under hot tap water, and then start over again with new saltwater. I do it once a month, I've got the routine down so it takes me only about 10 minutes to harvest, clean, and set up the next culture.

1675872851971.png

OP
OP
pepper89

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pour phyto into my pod culture until the water turns gatorade green, below is the pic of my pod culture. About a week later I will notice the water is not so green anymore, so I pour more in.

I'm not culturing phyto right now cause I have plenty, but yes, phyto is cultured after about a week, pods take 3-4 weeks.

To harvest my pods, I completely drain the container through a sieve, then I clean the container under hot tap water, and then start over again with new saltwater. I do it once a month, I've got the routine down so it takes me only about 10 minutes to harvest, clean, and set up the next culture.

1675872851971.png

Do you end up culturing the same amount of phyto as copepods (as in the same size container)? Or are you doing a lot more phyto than copepods or visa versa? Just wondering, cause I would preferably like to not be having to store either for very long if I can avoid it. I want to try to get it in a pretty good rotation where it's mostly just fresh ones, and I'm only really storing for a bit to protect from crashes.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you end up culturing the same amount of phyto as copepods (as in the same size container)? Or are you doing a lot more phyto than copepods or visa versa? Just wondering, cause I would preferably like to not be having to store either for very long if I can avoid it. I want to try to get it in a pretty good rotation where it's mostly just fresh ones, and I'm only really storing for a bit to protect from crashes.
I harvest pods once monthly in those containers you see in the pic. I don't store the pods, I dose my 4 tanks, and use some to start the new culture.

I culture phyto in 2 litre pop bottles, I usually culture 2 at a time, it takes a week, and those 2 bottles will last me about 2 months. I don't like to store it either.

OP
OP
pepper89

pepper89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I harvest pods once monthly in those containers you see in the pic. I don't store the pods, I dose my 4 tanks, and use some to start the new culture.

I culture phyto in 2 litre pop bottles, I usually culture 2 at a time, it takes a week, and those 2 bottles will last me about 2 months. I don't like to store it either.
Ok, this does make sense. Thank you. Since my tanks are pretty small (a 20-gallon long display, 10-gallon refugium, and 10-gallon quarantine), I think cutting that in half is probably good. This means I will be using those smaller containers for the phyto lol.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back