Copepod Tank

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have a cycled 5gal Fluval Spec V with a couple pounds of rock and sand in it that I am considering using for a copepod/phyto/macro tank to grow out beneficials that I can then harvest and add to my display tank (Fluval Evo 13.5). I am planning to order some pods, Tommy's Phyto, and some chaeto and red ogo macro algae. Aside from the usual water changes and top off, is there anything else I should consider? Will I have to feed this tank aside from phyto additions? Should I consider some snails for additional cleanup? Do I need to worry about alkalinity and calcium the same way that I do with my display tank?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't need a cycled tank for a copepod tank, unless you are keeping it as a qt tank or something. But it would not be efficient to harvest pods in large quantities

If you just want to farm and harvest copepods to feed your tank, then the KISS method is the best, use new water, copepods, phyto, and an air line or air stone. Nothing else is needed. The water should be tinted green, then you can harvest and drain the water once a month, clean the tank, and start over. There are lots of videos on youtube. No need for water changes, cleaning crew, or dosing. My copepod tanks are below, one for tisbe, apocyclops, and tigger pods.

1628351938135.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back