Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! What do people generally like? Copepods that you buy in a bottle or bag (AlgaeBarn, Todd'sPods, etc) that are microscopic and teeny tiny generally? Or copepods from places like Aquarium Depot or Royal Reefs that come on a sponge in a bag that are pretty big? Is there a difference between the 2?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! What do people generally like? Copepods that you buy in a bottle or bag (AlgaeBarn, Todd'sPods, etc) that are microscopic and teeny tiny generally? Or copepods from places like Aquarium Depot or Royal Reefs that come on a sponge in a bag that are pretty big? Is there a difference between the 2?

The larger organisms that you see on AD and RR are amphipods. These guys get much larger than most copepods. Here is a video of our Tigger-Pods so that you can compare them to others.
We pack roughly 2,000 per bottle. Retail typically for $22.00 at stores.

Chad

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG. I feel really dumb. Now that I see you guy's posts, I completely realize I knew there were copepods and amphipods, as two different things. However, when looking at AlgaeBarn, they have 'copepods' that are larger than amphipods, but still tiny in the bag (no sponge). Just a different species, I assume? Is there a benefit to having 1 over the other, multiple, etc? I will look over that thread :)

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG. I feel really dumb. Now that I see you guy's posts, I completely realize I knew there were copepods and amphipods, as two different things. However, when looking at AlgaeBarn, they have 'copepods' that are larger than amphipods, but still tiny in the bag (no sponge). Just a different species, I assume? Is there a benefit to having 1 over the other, multiple, etc? I will look over that thread :)

You should reach out to them and ask about what they offer. You can find them on R2R as well; they are a sponsor.

Chad

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 5g tanks full of the 1 Tigger bottle from Reef Nutrition that I bought back in August of 2017. Best pods hands down! About to upload a video on YouTube and post it on my thread mentioned above.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a mix of both amphipods and copepods, so I guess both bottles and sponges.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or copepods from places like Aquarium Depot or Royal Reefs that come on a sponge in a bag that are pretty big?

Just a warning; stay far away from aquarium depot. Their prices are deceivingly great but their actual stuff is terrible. I made an order and received my (incredibly unhealthy) livestock with all the following:
- bubble algae (had never been there before)
- hair algae (had never been there before)
- zoanthid fungus (had never been there before) (this is what killed most of my order, almost all the zoas just turned to goo and melted)

Lost more than half my order within a week, several zoas, a gorgonian, and I think something else. There are countless other terrible reviews, stay far away.

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a warning; stay far away from aquarium depot. Their prices are deceivingly great but their actual stuff is terrible. I made an order and received my (incredibly unhealthy) livestock with all the following:
- bubble algae (had never been there before)
- hair algae (had never been there before)
- zoanthid fungus (had never been there before) (this is what killed most of my order, almost all the zoas just turned to goo and melted)

Lost more than half my order within a week, several zoas, a gorgonian, and I think something else. There are countless other terrible reviews, stay far away.
Goot to know! I appreciate this. I ended up buying a bottle of Reef Nutrition red tigger pods. Put them in the fuge last night :)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use 2 vendors for pods.
Reef Nutrition for Tigger pods, which are really good for new fish in quarantine and Algae Barn pods.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%

Back