Copepods refugium

sage2000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am trying to create a stable population of copepods in my reef tank. I was thinking to add some media into my sump and add the copepods into there. However, my sump doesn't have another separate section i can make a refugium in. I'm wondering if I could just throw some live rock or something into the same section my protein skimmer is at and start the copepod farm down there. Does this sound like it would work or should I just try to introduce the pods into my actual tank?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock rubble and marinepure are common in sump but may not be ideal for copepods. It's more for micro bacteria. People usually have dedicated refugium for copepods with macro algae. You can seed your DT fine with copepods without having a farm in the sump though.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am trying to create a stable population of copepods in my reef tank. I was thinking to add some media into my sump and add the copepods into there. However, my sump doesn't have another separate section i can make a refugium in. I'm wondering if I could just throw some live rock or something into the same section my protein skimmer is at and start the copepod farm down there. Does this sound like it would work or should I just try to introduce the pods into my actual tank?
For copepods Rock rubble is the preferred choice for breeding ground over macro such as cheato . It's the most natural to copepods and it's porous structure is perfect for nauplius. Cheato is more for amphipods as they are acutaly big enough to consume it as a food source as well

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back