Copepods seeding in sump refugium

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to start a copepod population for a while with no success. Is there some trick im missing. My 1st attempt, I tried putting them in a 10 gal tank alone and that probably failed due the sg getting to high due to water evaporation and lack of feeding them correctly.

I now use oceanmagik to feed the copepods

My 2nd attempt, i dumped them in the refugium in the sump, left the sump off for the night. but i think the next day when i turned the pumps back on, the flow took them in to the tank because after a few days of looking at the refugium, i could not find any of them.

My 3rd attempt, i left them in the bottle with the lid off and placed the bottle in to the refugium and then again after a few days i could not find any.

My 4th attempt, i turned off the pumps and used a feeding tube to inject the copepods in to the middle of the chaeto, unfortunately i have to empty my sump to make a repair, but when i move the gravel, live rock and chaeto from the refugium, i still could not see any of the critters.

anyway im back to square one, the sump is back running, the crushed coral gravel is back in the refugium, the chaeto and live rock is back in the refugium. The copepods are being ordered and should arrive by the end of next week, for my 5th attempt I was thinking about injecting them in to the crushed coral gravel bed this time. but anyway, how did you guys do it?

Am i just overthinking this or is there a trick or idea im missing.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? I got most of my population from a little live rock and substrate from a few LFS. I never thought having them would be difficult. I also never feed them.

OP
OP
Kevin Finocchiaro

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? I got most of my population from a little live rock and substrate from a few LFS. I never thought having them would be difficult. I also never feed them.
The tank is over 2 years old with a couple of fish this is after the last failed reef attempt, but im giving the coral reef another motivated try.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are easy. If they were alive when you put them in and your parameters are good. You likely have a ton and don’t see em

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back