Copepods

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several YT vidoes showing how to train a mandarin on other foods. It might be work a look if that is your ultimate goal.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well that may be my problem. I have a six line and a four stripe damsel. Also 7 chromis.
Unfortunately, with those inhabitants, you won't really see a large population in your display. If you wanted to keep a mandarin, it would most likely be extremely difficult at first. Probably introducing a lot of pods early on while hoping you can teach it to eat an alternative.

Hawgpharm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep so many fish that love copepods (including a mandarin) that I've learned that the only way to go is supplemental feedings. I go for overkill and currently run about 60 gallons of combined copepod and baby brine shrimp cultures. The fish are constantly pecking at every surface in the tank and seem to enjoy it. Whoever said it is amazingly simple to grow your own is correct. Once you get it down, it is just a matter of collecting them on a regular basis and adding them to your tank.

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, with those inhabitants, you won't really see a large population in your display. If you wanted to keep a mandarin, it would most likely be extremely difficult at first. Probably introducing a lot of pods early on while hoping you can teach it to eat an alternative.
I understand you recommend to add pods at night with the lights off. Is this mostly just to reduce the chance of them being eaten before settling in? My tank is fallow at the moment because of velvet outbreak, I will be returning fish to DT in about 2-3 weeks and want to build up pod population at this time. Is there any reason I can’t introduce the pods during the day?

Hawgpharm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the huge numbers I add, it is always the last thing I do before turning out the room lights and going to bed. It gives them a chance to move out of the water column and onto the rocks, sand and glass. That's with fish, of course.

For a fallow tank, there isn't any reason you can't add them any time you want.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back