Copper resistant ich question

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evenin everyone, question is how long into copper treatment for ich do you know you’re dealing with a copper resistant strain. I don’t believe I’m dealing with that but I am wanting to know.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Good evenin everyone, question is how long into copper treatment for ich do you know you’re dealing with a copper resistant strain. I don’t believe I’m dealing with that but I am wanting to know.
Not much if any parasites are copper resistant which warrants the importance of therapeutic levels and treatment clock
What level are you treating at and how are you testing/monitoring copper level?
What copper treatment are you utilizing?

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much if any parasites are copper resistant which warrants the importance of therapeutic levels and treatment clock
What level are you treating at and how are you testing/monitoring copper level?
What copper treatment are you utilizing?
At 2.35 with copper power for 5 days now testing with Hanna

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
At 2.35 with copper power for 5 days now testing with Hanna
Take it up to 2.45 for a FULL 30 days at 79 degrees and monitor ammonia with a Reliable test kit

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There have been no studies that I know of that show Cryptocaryon/ich can develop a resistance to copper. However, the term shows up a LOT on the hobbyist forums. The reason it seems, isn't that the ich has developed resistance, but rather, there was some some flaw/misunderstanding in the treatment method.

In your case, I think the dose is fine (but you could go to a full dose of 2.5), and in using a Hanna checker, you can avoid mismeasurement. You are only at 5 days at a full dose? it takes at least 3 days just to level off the parasite load, until then, it often increases. By now, the fish may still look sick, but the number of spots should not be increasing. It will take 7 to 10 days for the spots to go away, and then a bit longer in some cases for the fish's skin to heal up.

A lot of this has to do with how severe the infection got before you reached a full dose. Copper Power is very safe, but it also very mild and slow to act. In some cases, it isn't started soon enough, and fish can die from ich, despite being under treatment.

If you post a short video, I can possible help assess their current condition.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been no studies that I know of that show Cryptocaryon/ich can develop a resistance to copper. However, the term shows up a LOT on the hobbyist forums. The reason it seems, isn't that the ich has developed resistance, but rather, there was some some flaw/misunderstanding in the treatment method.

In your case, I think the dose is fine (but you could go to a full dose of 2.5), and in using a Hanna checker, you can avoid mismeasurement. You are only at 5 days at a full dose? it takes at least 3 days just to level off the parasite load, until then, it often increases. By now, the fish may still look sick, but the number of spots should not be increasing. It will take 7 to 10 days for the spots to go away, and then a bit longer in some cases for the fish's skin to heal up.

A lot of this has to do with how severe the infection got before you reached a full dose. Copper Power is very safe, but it also very mild and slow to act. In some cases, it isn't started soon enough, and fish can die from ich, despite being under treatment.

Jay
I can post a video to be sure. I am currently not to worried about this fish though still eating still acting normally just some scratching still it seems the ich is better than before. I don’t see any lethargy and still eating good.

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Heres a video there a little nuts because it’s feeding time so sorry in advanced for them bein nuts lol

Attachments

• IMG_1165.MOV
    67.5 MB
  • IMG_1165.MOV
    67.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a video there a little nuts because it’s feeding time so sorry in advanced for them bein nuts lol
I can can’t really see any ich on the blue tang. The emperor angel has moderate Lymphocystis, but that isn’t a concern. The fish are active and look good. I’d take it day by day, give it some more time.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can can’t really see any ich on the blue tang. The emperor angel has moderate Lymphocystis, but that isn’t a concern. The fish are active and look good. I’d take it day by day, give it some more time.
Jay
I don’t think the video is picking up the ich on blue tang it’s definitely better than what it was. And yes I’m aware of the lympho on the emperor in my little experience emperors get lympho in copper for some reason

Back