Copper Resistant Velvet?

Colton Yuchnewicz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used copper safe for multiple batches of fish over the years, I generally keep it as close to 2.5 as possible (assuming the Hannah checker is accurate) I have never had an issue with any fish.

however, I have a hippo tang currently that had velvet and ich when I got him, so I dosed copper to 2.2 and it went away. 6 days later the hippo is covered in velvet again. my copper was 2.4 currently. I boosted it to 2.6 now.

My question is, is coppersafe ok to sit at 2.6ppm?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have used copper safe for multiple batches of fish over the years, I generally keep it as close to 2.5 as possible (assuming the Hannah checker is accurate) I have never had an issue with any fish.

however, I have a hippo tang currently that had velvet and ich when I got him, so I dosed copper to 2.2 and it went away. 6 days later the hippo is covered in velvet again. my copper was 2.4 currently. I boosted it to 2.6 now.

2.6 yes but will likely not have extra impact
Treat again and at 80.5 degrees
How did you confirm velvet?

OP
OP
Colton Yuchnewicz

Colton Yuchnewicz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.6 yes but will likely not have extra impact
Treat again and at 80.5 degrees
How did you confirm velvet?
confirmed by visual, iv delt with velvet twice before (assuming im correct), looks like a fine dust all over the fish. not external like ich. im assuming this is the case as im no expert and have delt with these issues by info/research from here and other places!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How is it doing in 2.6?

Consider that Hanna has 5% error it’s prob not too bad

OP
OP
Colton Yuchnewicz

Colton Yuchnewicz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it doing in 2.6?

Consider that Hanna has 5% error it’s prob not too bad
it's been 30min since the boost. I haven't noticed any breathing changes or mobility issues yet; everyone seems good so far. i have a checkerboard wrasse in there with the hippo and he hasn't had any signs of illness since I got them.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's been 30min since the boost. I haven't noticed any breathing changes or mobility issues yet; everyone seems good so far. i have a checkerboard wrasse in there with the hippo and he hasn't had any signs of illness since I got them.
Then it’s prob fine. Just keep a close eye on him

Add another air pump and air stone as extra precaution

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
confirmed by visual, iv delt with velvet twice before (assuming im correct), looks like a fine dust all over the fish. not external like ich. im assuming this is the case as im no expert and have delt with these issues by info/research from here and other places!
Some signs you will see is rapid breathing, swimming in path of water flow, gasping at surface, lethargic behavior and scratching- even clamped fins at times

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OfCourse! the hippo looks pretty bad right now but hoping with the raise of copper and temp it will pull threw. Shes eating and swimming so that's a good sign.
It likely isn’t velvet. Fish with velvet breathe super fast and stop eating pretty early in the infection.

Don’t raise the water temperature, that is old advice that was derived from freshwater ich. Marine ich and velvet are different, and actually do better in warmer water. 78 to 79 F is best.

Many times though, people think copper should work right away. It doesn’t work that fast, three to five days to really get working. If a fish is really sick going in, they don’t have that much time. Then, if the fish dies, people blame copper (sigh).

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back