Copperband butterfly in mixed reef.

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I could put a Copperband Butterfly in a 70 gallon mixed reef with many corals.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 50/50. The store I got mine from kept him in their frag tank so I took the chance. So far he has not nipped, but that behavior could always change. I really like mine though and somehow my mean old yellow tang accepted him, so it's a risk I am willing to take.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend against that. CBBs are difficult fish, and need to be worked around. They get big, a 70, would not typically be a suitable size for them. They will eat feather dusters and christmas tree worms, these form a large component of their natural diet. Lps corals, especially euphyllia will always be a risk. Some even eat softies, I have heard of them eating, zoas, kennya tree, mushrooms, xenia just to name a few.

That being said often they don't bother any corals, but you never know, and that can change at any time. Beautiful fish and worth the effort if you are prepared to work around them, not just in stocking corals, but also fish, and diet.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I could put a Copperband Butterfly in a 70 gallon mixed reef with many corals.

In terms of "Reef Safe Butterfly Fish" it generally goes as follows

1. Pyramid Butterflyfish
2. Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish and Copperband
3. Nothing else

Many people have had success with the copperband not nipping, but they are considered one of the worst butterflyfish to survive in captivity. The general consensus is that the more reef safe butterflyfish they are recommended for tanks over 100 gallons for long term success.

It's a bit of a stretch but if you don't have one you could try a Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel as it would be better suited to that size tank and it would be about the same risk as the Longnose and Copperband.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be difficult, but finding one at an LFS goes a long way to having success.

I've had a few copperbands in reefs. Most were safe with corals, though the last one I had did pick at acans.

In terms of "Reef Safe Butterfly Fish" it generally goes as follows

1. Pyramid Butterflyfish
2. Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish and Copperband
3. Nothing else.
Zoster, marginalis, and Heniochus diphreutes are considered as safe as these mentioned.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had my CBB in my 240 mixed reef for several years and have never seen it go after any corals.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for a few years and he is no problem with any of my coral (SPS, duncans, acans, zoas, euphyllia). Mine is also an aiptasia exterminator. As noted above the only draw back for me is feather dusters and Christmas tree worms, both of which I would like to keep.....just not as much as I want to keep my CBB.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's him. It is a nice little fish,

As is this little guy. A perchlet.

But these may be my favorite

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I would not. They are just not aggressive enough to the food with more active feeders. I've seen them hold their own seemly in a mixed system. But if you see them get a mellow environment and how they eat then, you'd quickly realize they are best with gentle reef types and really blossom in that type of environment. Then you get to see their real personalities. I keep mine with a regal angel and three very small centropygi angels. All in a 135 gallon tank. If you have tangs, triggers or pomachantus angels, you would better off with heniochus butterflies. I have three in my 440 gallon and they school, eat anything and you can't 'kill'm with a bull dozer' once they settle in. short coming is they grow fast when happy

Bow69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one in my 90 about a month ago to kill the demon weed Aiptesia. I tried everything else before adding this guy as I know they can be very difficult to keep. Last thing I want is to have a fish die. So far, so good. He’s anialated the Aiptesia and he’s eating Mysis shrimp like a champ. I haven’t seen him pick at any corals yet. Hopefully he will continue to grow and thrive. What all does everyone feed their Cbb’s?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one in my 90 about a month ago to kill the demon weed Aiptesia. I tried everything else before adding this guy as I know they can be very difficult to keep. Last thing I want is to have a fish die. So far, so good. He’s anialated the Aiptesia and he’s eating Mysis shrimp like a champ. I haven’t seen him pick at any corals yet. Hopefully he will continue to grow and thrive. What all does everyone feed their Cbb’s?
Mine eats anything frozen. Specifically loves LRS and Masstick. I'd like to try to get him to eat some kind of dry food.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's him. It is a nice little fish,

As is this little guy. A perchlet.

But these may be my favorite

If you did not spot feed the pipefish, would it survive with daily broadcast feeding amongst more aggressive eaters?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bluestrips would have no problems but dragon face and Janss would have a very hard time

PaulK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in a mixed reef. It nips at acans occasionally but not enough to stop them from growing. Doesn’t bother anything else (except that it likes to steal food from corals that I’m trying to feed).

They are hard to feed at first; be prepared. For the first month mine would only eat live black worms. Then it started eating live clams. After about a week of that it started taking LRS reef frenzy and maastik smashed into the tank glass. Now it eats everything including flakes.

Back