Coral Growth

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a question that has no exact answer , but I often feel like my corals are not growing as fast as they should be/at all; Has anyone felt this way and how did you reconcile it?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a question that has no exact answer , but I often feel like my corals are not growing as fast as they should be/at all; Has anyone felt this way and how did you reconcile it?
Tank age, parameters and lighting are the factors.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is your expectation for growth? Are you comparing your corals' growth to others and using that as your guide?

Even on different healthy natural reefs growth rates of the same types of corals can be dramatically different. An Acropora species might grow only 1/2" on one reef/yr. vs. 5" on another, but both corals can look similarly colorful and healthy.

In order for strong growth to occur a whole host of factors need to be 'in the zone'. Part of the challenge of reef keeping is gaining a thorough understanding of the interrelationship of all these factors and how they can be manipulated to obtain a desired result (not every reefer has the same goals).

For example, in a small grown-in mature aquarium fast growth is often not desirable (unless one really likes pruning!), but great coloration and overall health are. Manipulating just one or two factors can be the difference between an aquarium that's a chore to maintain and one that's easily manageable.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the corals? Different corals grow at different rates, but everything grows slow. I compare growth in my tank year over year, you cant really judge growth after just a few months.

The corals that do grow quickly are usually the cheaper, less colorful ones. In my experience, the more expensive more colorful corals grow the slowest.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your expectation for growth? Are you comparing your corals' growth to others and using that as your guide?

Even on different healthy natural reefs growth rates of the same types of corals can be dramatically different. An Acropora species might grow only 1/2" on one reef/yr. vs. 5" on another, but both corals can look similarly colorful and healthy.

In order for strong growth to occur a whole host of factors need to be 'in the zone'. Part of the challenge of reef keeping is gaining a thorough understanding of the interrelationship of all these factors and how they can be manipulated to obtain a desired result (not every reefer has the same goals).

For example, in a small grown-in mature aquarium fast growth is often not desirable (unless one really likes pruning!), but great coloration and overall health are. Manipulating just one or two factors can be the difference between an aquarium that's a chore to maintain and one that's easily manageable.
I generally look at other people's tanks. A lot of my Euphyllia just haven't shown any signs of growing lately.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the corals? Different corals grow at different rates, but everything grows slow. I compare growth in my tank year over year, you cant really judge growth after just a few months.

The corals that do grow quickly are usually the cheaper, less colorful ones. In my experience, the more expensive more colorful corals grow the slowest.
I've had a frogspawn and a hammer that haven't split or anything in 5 months. I just hear people talking about how they double in size over the course of a year

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back