Coral placement and infighting

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always amazed at some of these beautiful tanks that have different varieties of corals right next to each other with no issues. I lost a yuma shroom last night and appears my helio fungia may have zapped it. I have a rasta torch shrinking back and the big green ausi torch seems to dominate it.

Do you intentionally place corals next to each other in close proximity knowing there could be coral war at some point? How often does it go to blows versus living in peaceful harmony? I know certain corals get along with each other but I'm always in awe seeing some of these amazing tanks with full grown corals on top of each other like a beautiful garden.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I make it a point to space 2.5-3" apart and helps to know who potential stingers are

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually same type of corals can touch and coexist. That's why most people create gardens of the same species. Zoa garden, acan garden, etc. There aren't a lot of corals that can touch other species.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually same type of corals can touch and coexist. That's why most people create gardens of the same species. Zoa garden, acan garden, etc. There aren't a lot of corals that can touch other species.
Yes of course but just seems like on some of these very established systems there almost isn't any coral wars and things are touching all over the tank that one would think wouldn't work together.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take flow into the equation too and try to keep those sweepers downstream. It's a delicate balance.
I woke up the other morning and my torch had this extra long tentacles attached to my ricordia and it was against the random flow to. It was stuck there like gum on a shoe. Half the ricordia died.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's smart but most of us have flow that alternates both directions to.
True but my hard hitting sweepers only come out after lights out. You can still have random alternating current during lights on and then at lights out add in your strategic flow plan.
I woke up the other morning and my torch had this extra long tentacles attached to my ricordia and it was against the random flow to. It was stuck there like gum on a shoe. Half the ricordia died.
I have been here before more than once.
I do get jealous when I see the kind of tanks that you are talking about. Wall to wall touching corals.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indo torches often don't get along with torches from other regions. It's easiest just to separate by region. Also dont put torches next to hammer or frogspawn.

Some corals need space and dont play well together like certain favia / favites. I had a turbo snail knock over a chalice and it landed on a favia. Instant death for the favia.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but my hard hitting sweepers only come out after lights out. You can still have random alternating current during lights on and then at lights out add in your strategic flow plan.

I have been here before more than once.
I do get jealous when I see the kind of tanks that you are talking about. Wall to wall touching corals.
I just dont understand how they accomplished the wall to wall environment?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I space my corals 3-5” apart but they grow quickly and this becomes a royal pita. Then having to move the corals is always problematic, esp with encrusters. Coral growth/aggression is one of the underrated issues in maintaining a reef tank IMO.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be the tell-tale sign with torches. If the tentacle sticks, it’s stinging. If it doesn’t, stick it’s not stinging.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I space my corals 3-5” apart but they grow quickly and this becomes a royal pita. Then having to move the corals is always problematic, esp with encrusters. Coral growth/aggression is one of the underrated issues in maintaining a reef tank IMO.
This is one of the main reasons that I chose the rockscape that I did. Dealing with this in the past was a huge problem for me.
All of those one peice NSA aquascapes out there will have trouble dealing with this too.
I have 13 individual bommies that I can twist, turn, relocate, or remove based on coral growth.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of figured mother nature would settle it. The more aggressive dominant coral would get more reef space and the less aggressive coral would concede it. I didn't anticipate quick and complete death in some of these contacts.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of figured mother nature would settle it. The more aggressive dominant coral would get more reef space and the less aggressive coral would concede it. I didn't anticipate quick and complete death in some of these contacts.
Right, that’s the down side. Mother Nature doesn’t care about our wallets. :)

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course but just seems like on some of these very established systems there almost isn't any coral wars and things are touching all over the tank that one would think wouldn't work together.
It's just the angle of the photo that makes it seem like they are touching but really they are not.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back