Coral snow, bacteria and skimming protcol!

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using homemade coral snow every two weeks and at separate times dose bacteria. I've read I should mix them but don't know whether to skim. Normally I turn off my UV and skimmer off for four hours when dosing bacteria but the skimmer needs to run with coral snow. What's a reefer to do when they're mixed?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, they need not be mixed or even used together. They largely do different things, and the coral snow may take up more organics from the water if used alone.

The bacteria can be good food for corals, and I don't think mixing them makes it better.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using homemade coral snow every two weeks and at separate times dose bacteria. I've read I should mix them but don't know whether to skim. Normally I turn off my UV and skimmer off for four hours when dosing bacteria but the skimmer needs to run with coral snow. What's a reefer to do when they're mixed?
So the THEORY behind mixing bacteria with coral snow is that it settles and coats surfaces, making it harder for cyano and undesirable algae to grow. I don't buy this, and have seen nothing to support it.

Use it however you want. I don't think mixing or not mixing will make any difference in the results you see.

I will note, that when using coral snow, I found water clarity improved more (at least to my untrained eye) when using multiple smaller doses per week rather than 1 large dose. The larger doses actually left precipitate on my wavemakers and pumps.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, they need not be mixed or even used together. They largely do different things, and the coral snow may take up more organics from the water if used alone.

The bacteria can be good food for corals, and I don't think mixing them makes it better.
Thanks. This issue has always puzzled me as coral snow directions usually suggest adding bacteria to it .

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @TWYOUNG I haven’t used this method by @SunnyX but plan on implementing. Here is a link with a video where he talks about his process when dosing snow including bacteria.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question..... yes you want to run the skimmer as both products will need to be exported after completion. Mixing the two only falls into the category of simplicity.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question..... yes you want to run the skimmer as both products will need to be exported after completion. Mixing the two only falls into the category of simplicity.
Why would I want to immediately remove the beneficial bacteria I just added?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back