Coral still closed 10 days after moving to new tank

seerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded from an established Biocube 29g to a 75g with sump about a little over a week ago. After talking with other reefers I used some existing tank water, rocks, and Seachem matrix (filter media) with new sand and some extra bacteria dose. All of my coral (mainly Zoas, a torch, a Duncan, waving hands, and GSP) are pretty clenched up but fish seem to be happy.

Do corals just need more time to acclimate and time for nitrates to build up a little bit for them? Just trying to limit risk of any die off. My GSP, just started opening back up yesterday/today. Also, is it possible it’s from lighting being too much or too little? I’m running 2 Ai primes on a 36x24. There’s so many things that can affect them in a new tank I don’t want to end up curing them to death when all they needed was time

Tested levels and Phosphate is high @ .39. Added phosguard to help bring levels down
Temp: 78.5
PH: 8.3
Alk: 9.7
Phosphorous: 129 .39 converted to phosphate
Calcium: 517
Salinity: 1.027 (added RO water since
Am: 0
Nitrite: O
Nitrate: 1-2

Last edited:
OP
OP
seerad

seerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to double check, you mean 1.027 for your salinity right? If not that is definitely your problem.
Yep, corrected it thank you! Also just saw my phone must’ve freaked out and adjusted the title to not make sense ‍♂️

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SG is still high, I assume you are correcting the issue.
How much old water? 29 to a 75 is a big jump, lots of new water. Did you make it fresh or a day or 2 in advance?

They may need some time to recover, the GSP opening is a good sign. :)

OP
OP
seerad

seerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably 10-20 gallons of it? I kept water from a couple water changes to use. I bought the rest of the water from LFS.

yeah I’m adding RO water manually and working on getting an ATO and setting it up

OP
OP
seerad

seerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the lights on bright at first and realized it may be a problem so went to a 50% acclimation mode. Do you think I need to reduce further than that?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 106 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 117 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back