Corals didn’t like water change

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means an expert in coral since I've only started keeping them this year, but I will share an observation I have regarding water changes and water quality...

When I first started my coral QT tank, I started out with 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate and 0 Phosphate and since there were no fish or invertebrates it pretty much stayed that way for a while. My coral would go in the tank looking good and within a week or two they would start to close up and did not look happy. I kept seeing videos of people talking about a certain coral liking, "dirty water" or other coral that could deal with, "dirty water" and didn't really understand the concept since I thought the whole idea was to keep the water parameters pristine.

I finally found a post on another forum that talked about it and it did not mean that the water was, "dirty" but that it had higher amounts of dissolved nutrients. I even heard people talking about getting their Nitrates up to around 20 PPM before starting to do water changes and keeping them around that number permanently. I had never really had the problem of having to increase my Nitrates, but figured I could skip a few water changes and feed a bit more and even added some inverts to the QT since they didn't need medication and the QT period was the same amount of time for both.

Flash forward a few weeks and I started seeing measurable amount of Nitrates and my coral was looking more healthy and would open up and stay open all day. Now I do not do weekly water changes any more, but do weekly testing and the test results determine if I do a water change instead of just doing it out of routine and my coral are all looking great!

I will add that I have only been keeping LPS and a few Softies and have no idea if the same will be true when I start adding SPS, but I will figure that out when I get there... ;Happy

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means an expert in coral since I've only started keeping them this year, but I will share an observation I have regarding water changes and water quality...

When I first started my coral QT tank, I started out with 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5 Nitrate and 0 Phosphate and since there were no fish or invertebrates it pretty much stayed that way for a while. My coral would go in the tank looking good and within a week or two they would start to close up and did not look happy. I kept seeing videos of people talking about a certain coral liking, "dirty water" or other coral that could deal with, "dirty water" and didn't really understand the concept since I thought the whole idea was to keep the water parameters pristine.

I finally found a post on another forum that talked about it and it did not mean that the water was, "dirty" but that it had higher amounts of dissolved nutrients. I even heard people talking about getting their Nitrates up to around 20 PPM before starting to do water changes and keeping them around that number permanently. I had never really had the problem of having to increase my Nitrates, but figured I could skip a few water changes and feed a bit more and even added some inverts to the QT since they didn't need medication and the QT period was the same amount of time for both.

Flash forward a few weeks and I started seeing measurable amount of Nitrates and my coral was looking more healthy and would open up and stay open all day. Now I do not do weekly water changes any more, but do weekly testing and the test results determine if I do a water change instead of just doing it out of routine and my coral are all looking great!

I will add that I have only been keeping LPS and a few Softies and have no idea if the same will be true when I start adding SPS, but I will figure that out when I get there... ;Happy
That is really interesting as it sounds like it should make sense, would be interested to see any replies from old hands.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi don’t agree! 10% is good! Larger and you have to match salinity, ph, alk and other elements, bad!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back