"Corals That Look Like Other Things" Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so when you've been around corals long enough, you start seeing "patterns in the chaos". Actually, just like with clouds, you start seeing things that look like other things in your corals...Well, at least we do!

Here are a few examples of corals that look like other things from our collection...There are probably dozens, but here are just a few I could come up with off the top of my head:

pretzelstickdigitata2andhalfinch38.jpg

First up is the "Pretzel Stick Montipora". I mean, really, this thing looks just like a salted pretzel, huh? Absolutely. Montipora digitata - "Pretzel Stick Digitata" - 2.5" WYSIWYG Specimen

IMG_9394flyamanitachalice-1inch78.JPGUC.jpg

Some corals are named after other animals or plants that they seem to look like, such as the "Fly Amanita Chalice", which is bears a remarkable resemblance to the "Fly Amanita" Mushroom. The resemblance was pointed out by none other than our friend, Jake Adams, who relayed to me its story. Here is some background on this story from Reef Builders: Behold the ‘Fly Amanita’ Chalice coral

toxicaspera3quartersinch48.jpg

Here's one that looks like one of those poison dart frogs, if looked at it from above, doesn't it? It's actually an Echinophyllia aspera, in a color morph popularly known as the "Toxic Aspera" Echinophyllia aspera - "Toxic" Aspera - 3/4" WYSIWYG Frag

This is the perfect goofy topic for a weekend! Let's see some of your crazy corals that look like other things from nature or otherwise! I know you have 'em..don't be shy!

Thanks!

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back