Corraline algae quetsion

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to see some corraline algae before I start with coral, and I have to get rid of my hallloween hermit because I can't get any shells without spending tons of money, he has some corraline algae on his shell and I was wondering if I can or should scrape it into the tank if needed (he's been in the tank for about a month). If not what other way should I do it. Thanks.

G0f1sh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you can scrape them but you may wanna check your chemistry and see where your mag is at. I just pick up a few for a CUC and make sure a few have some on it. Usually from them running around and bumping into things it eventually spreads

Upvote 0

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of someone getting rid of a hermit crab due to the cost of empty shells. You may be in for a shock when it comes to cost of things in this hobby. People are paying thousands for 1” pieces of rocks with some organized algae and proteins.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of someone getting rid of a hermit crab due to the cost of empty shells. You may be in for a shock when it comes to cost of things in this hobby. People are paying thousands for 1” pieces of rocks with some organized algae and proteins.
ok so, I don't want to pay 30 dollars for shells (because of the minimum order cost) when I can just go get a conch for $9. and yes lol some prices of corals I have seen is insanity.
4 shells are $2 on reefcleaners.org, don't get rid of the hermit!
Sadly they hey have a minimum cost per order and they were the first place I checked when looking. I like the crab a lot but the conch is more helpful and the crab is only really out at night, at least I can see the conch's work in the morning.

Upvote 0

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so, I don't want to pay 30 dollars for shells (because of the minimum order cost) when I can just go get a conch for $9. and yes lol some prices of corals I have seen is insanity.

Sadly they hey have a minimum cost per order and they were the first place I checked when looking. I like the crab a lot but the conch is more helpful and the crab is only really out at night, at least I can see the conch's work in the morning.
25 pack of cone shells on Amazon: $20

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back