Could anyone help me to ID this?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defiantly acropora, from the looks of it I would guess acropora florida. Blow the polyps back with a baster and then tank a picture with polyps closed under daylight. Good job with that frag!

OP
OP
J1a

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSX_20220219_203252.jpg

Does a black and white picture help? The polpys were blow back three times. It re-emerges before I can fire off a picture. It's green polyp on green skin, when photographed under daylight it's the same.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an acro. Anyones guess on species but it’s an acro. Sometimes with acros the axial coralites can be more or less defined depending on the health of the coral. Seems like it probably wasn’t the healthiest as a frag but you’ve done a great job growing it out.
I have a red planet and during a bout with Dino’s it lost all polyp extension and the coralites looked very strange. Now it’s back to looking like a normal red planet

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The variable directions of growth on the coralites and new nubs are what tell me it’s not one of the species like humilis or Monticulosa which normally grow a little more uniform, but I could be wrong. Florida is generally only green and gets pink tips when really doing well.

OP
OP
J1a

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The variable directions of growth on the coralites and new nubs are what tell me it’s not one of the species like humilis or Monticulosa which normally grow a little more uniform, but I could be wrong. Florida is generally only green and gets pink tips when really doing well.
Ah.. For some reason I was looking at acropora fomosa. Talk about careless reading. I'll look into a florida.

Thank you very much!

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I think I have seen this on eBay listed as Hirsuta Montipora hope that helps, it's looking quite similar to me on my screen
Screenshot_20220219_144237_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

OP
OP
J1a

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I think I have seen this on eBay listed as Hirsuta Montipora hope that helps, it's looking quite similar to me on my screen
Screenshot_20220219_144237_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
I have hirsuta before. It's a little bit leafy in appearance; this on the other hand is so far digitae.

Also, monti won't have the axial coralite.

OP
OP
J1a

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSX_20220403_084321.jpg

Latest development. Under daylight. Seems that axial coralites are rather clustered.

Who knows. This may end up looking corymbose in structure.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I would put it at 96% likely a Florida. They grow very unique in each tank. Flow and light really affect the growth patterns. Awesome acro!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back