Covering overflow

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a good idea or maybe have seen an existing thread here with ideas on or ways to cover up built in over flows ? I have a Marineland 93 gal cube with the built in overflow and am in the process of redoing the tank and was wanting to try some new aqua scape . I thought it would b nice to b able to hide the overflow some how plus make a nice place to sit frags . Here's a pic of the tank empty so u have an idea of what I'm dealing with .Thanks

Attachments

• 1425984038554.jpg
    1425984038554.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 400

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
CORAL JUNKY

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually looking for a way to make the overflow like a rock wall with ledges and holes to place frag plugs . Thanks though

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will teach me to speed read... lol

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use a material to build a wall. There's member here that built some amazing walls on his tank - now I need to remember the person's name. I probably shouldn't post until I remember the member's names lol - I'll figure it out - probably others can chime in with names too.

OP
OP
CORAL JUNKY

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ! I've read a few posts about building something outta foam and rubble but I'm actually intrigued about an idea I read . Actually thinking about taking some of the existing live rock from the tank , drilling holes through it and then securing it all together with some cast acrylic rods . What do u think ?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ! I've read a few posts about building something outta foam and rubble but I'm actually intrigued about an idea I read . Actually thinking about taking some of the existing live rock from the tank , drilling holes through it and then securing it all together with some cast acrylic rods . What do u think ?
@prsnlty... might be able to provide some guidance on this one, she's made over-flow cover before and would be a great person to bounce ideas off of... as for cast acrylic rods, I personally like the Nylon Thread Rod, not that the acrylic wont work... more flex in the nylon than in acrylic so way more forgiving.

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a good idea or maybe have seen an existing thread here with ideas on or ways to cover up built in over flows ? I have a Marineland 93 gal cube with the built in overflow and am in the process of redoing the tank and was wanting to try some new aqua scape . I thought it would b nice to b able to hide the overflow some how plus make a nice place to sit frags . Here's a pic of the tank empty so u have an idea of what I'm dealing with .Thanks

Ok, is this what you're looking to do? Except I have 2...
uploadfromtaptalk1426096225255.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the whole overflow, not just the cover. But you will need to cover separately or tape off the area around the tank to keep it clean. Also, it can take weeks to cure before it's usable/safe. If you do this "in tank" it may stain your glass or acrylic. However glass will come clean much easier than acrylic.

I would NOT use foam. Foam can break down over time and leach who knows what. Not only that but can definitely harbor nitrates.

So if what I did, is what you're looking for, let me know... I'll be happy to help :)

OP
OP
CORAL JUNKY

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's looks awesome ! Very similar to what I was thinking but my tank is already up and running so not real sure if that us an option . I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna drill some existing live rock , wrap it around the overflow and hold it all together with 1/2" acrylic rod. I've already got done really nice pieces with some curve to em and a few flat pieces that'd be perfect to use for shelves

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could create a "skin" for the overflow and make the cover outside of the tank. Although I'm not sure what you would use for the skin to get the exact curve and hole placements. Maybe some plastic wrap in front of the overflow (so it comes off easily) and cover it bottom to top with coral putty. Let harden then remove it to rock coat as I did the pvc... but that's a lot of coral putty lol

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's looks awesome ! Very similar to what I was thinking but my tank is already up and running so not real sure if that us an option . I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna drill some existing live rock , wrap it around the overflow and hold it all together with 1/2" acrylic rod. I've already got done really nice pieces with some curve to em and a few flat pieces that'd be perfect to use for shelves

Great! Don't forget to post a pic so we can see how it turns out ;)

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have concealed overflows before, using small pieces of rubble rock and black silicone. Just applied some silicone and glued the small pieces of rock to the outside of the overflow. You can put a few pieces in the mix that jut out just a little, to glue frags to later on. Wish I had some pics, but I don't.

Sorta like this. I covered up some bottom returns of my closed loop the same way. Actually, I think I used hot glue on these. It was 8 years ago and they are still stuck on the pvc fittings.

ReturnHead1a.jpg

Sand1.jpg

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back