Crab id

jomatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on what this little guy is? Showed up on a trachy today.

8E7C4362-AFBB-4AF7-92E1-0E683573AAAE.jpeg EDE6B3D1-0E46-4EA1-9EBA-7CEAB8097983.jpeg AF90558B-FD3D-49F6-953D-12C219605F0A.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jomatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this tank used around six months ago. Never saw anything like this in there before. It’s actually kind of cool looking with pinkish claws...I thought it was at nudibranch at a glance and was real unhappy.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other inhabitants do you have? It looks like a decapod of some sort - something like a crab or porcelain crab. The picture is not in focus and it is a bit too blue to identify further.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, had I not zoomed in on the pic, or knew that you had it in water, I would have thought you had posted a pic of a tick.
I count 5 legs (including claw), its luckily not an arachnid of some sort - more likely a decapod.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the ID. They make little nooks and crannies. Pretty sure they eat coral mucus and perhaps tissue like the paper KJ linked. Too bad you're in VA, would really enjoy having one as a specimen.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the article KJ posted, it will caution you from classifying it as a parasite right away (or a pest in our case). The relationship between gall crabs and corals are poorly understood, and since they eat primarily the mucus of corals - it is likely not that harmful. It is also highly unlikely they will reproduce in large numbers in the reef aquaria because they are a crab. Their diet is similar to that of the Trapezia and Tetralia crab (acro crabs) in that they also eat coral mucus. Personally I would not kill it.

OP
OP
J

jomatty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys 100% on the ID? I’m really torn on this thing. I’ve had the tank for over six months so if I put it back and it ends up being the wrong decision I am unlikely to get another chance at finding it for a long time... That said, I don’t like killing anything if I can help it, especially not something that might be interesting to watch.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet money on it. Compare it to other species of gall crabs, and there is a striking resemblance in body structure
In addition, I am going to say I am 100% certain it is NOT a tick or mite or sea spider because it has 10 appendages, not 4. It is certainly a type of crab, and only the gall crab fits the physical description and your description of how you found it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back