Craigs List People Are Nutzzzzz!!!!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i email a lady with a tank and live rock she said she has this for sael

"CoraLife light has the main, purple and moon lights only about 8 months old. For the tank is a 54 gallon corner tank black very nice. For the rock probley about 20 pounds."

I then asked how much?

Her response was $950

THATS INSANE and has to be a joke right?

No i emailed her back she said 950 and im not budging lol:hammer:

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the last thing she said to me

"Not a problem you don't know what your talkin about so have a great weekend :)"

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ha i tried to tell her that and she said i know nothing about saltwater and its obvs i dont even have a tank so how could i know the prices lol

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup that's crazy!! I should e-mail her and tell her to send whoever buys it my way for corals...LOL.

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup that's crazy!! I should e-mail her and tell her to send whoever buys it my way for corals...LOL.

lol ik right i should be like after you sell it please send them to my house for 50 dollar LE phil Kenya tree frags

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree from being in this hobby for a very long time that she is high. But look at it from her side of things. She probly knows nothing about the internet side of the hobby, so she probly bought all this from her local fish store. In which case she would have paid close to $500 for the coralife halide fixture, $300 for the stand, $350 for the tank, and $200 for the rock. I bet with tax she probly has $1500 invested in what shes selling. I could be wrong but I know alot of people go into the local stores and have no clue they are paying nearly double for stuff. And they also dont know that the stuff is worth half what they paid for it when it leaves the store. In her mind she is taking a big loss, even though we know what the stuff is worth.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exactly ironman
to us it is extremely high but to someone who buys from an lfs, not so much

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree from being in this hobby for a very long time that she is high. But look at it from her side of things. She probly knows nothing about the internet side of the hobby, so she probly bought all this from her local fish store. In which case she would have paid close to $500 for the coralife halide fixture, $300 for the stand, $350 for the tank, and $200 for the rock. I bet with tax she probly has $1500 invested in what shes selling. I could be wrong but I know alot of people go into the local stores and have no clue they are paying nearly double for stuff. And they also dont know that the stuff is worth half what they paid for it when it leaves the store. In her mind she is taking a big loss, even though we know what the stuff is worth.

i dont think she paid a dime over 600-700 for everything i dont think any of those prices are close to retail except the fixture

Chrissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with you two(fatex and ironman)...Just because we were impatient with setting up our 72 gallon...we bought a TON at the LFS and have WAAYYY more $$$ invested in it than we should. I bet everyone here thinks their tank is worth more than people will pay, too!

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I didnt make up those prices, I got them off store websites, Not to mention I have bought out two local fish stores. I know what stuff retails for, and I know what the markup is. It may not have been $1500 depending on where she lives, but it was at least $1200

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont care what she paid, it isnt about that. Im just saying be aware not everyone is intune with the hobby the way we are. You cant assume the other person knows what you know. She probly thinks shes giving someone a good deal. A polite link to Reef2Reef or reefcentrals classifieds would have been a great information source for her to learn from, next time.

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont care what she paid, it isnt about that. Im just saying be aware not everyone is intune with the hobby the way we are. You cant assume the other person knows what you know. She probly thinks shes giving someone a good deal. A polite link to Reef2Reef or reefcentrals classifieds would have been a great information source for her to learn from, next time.

+1 ur def right here, but i tried to do that and she told me i dontknow what im talking about and that i def dont even own a saltwater tank lol but yea i totally see where u coming from but at my lfs that stand would be 150 tank maybe 150 if not 125ish, lights around 500 if not 600, live rock 140 just my experiences thats why i think its totally over priced bc i think at my LFS i could get it all new under 950 if not just around that price

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A ton of people in this hobby are totally clueless about what they should do in certain situations. Thats why we see so many "dumb LFS questions" and stuff like that, uneducated hobbiests learning (most of the time they are being serious and didnt know what the answer was, when we seem to look at it and some laugh at its simplicity). In the case of the aquarium on craig's list, she either could be one of those many uneducated hobbiests, or could very well be on the other side of logic and be screwing around. We dont have much grounds to question that and its up to her to educate herself. If its too much, go on ebay, or other sites, or wait a bit and check back later :)

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right in saying you can get it all new for under $950. The tanks online retail is $275, stand $220, Light $500, and rock here in the local stores is $12.99 lb. Our stores here mark up 30% or more. So thats why I say over $1200. Now if you go into petsmart or petco you can get really cheap tanks and stands. Im assuming she has either an allglass or oceanic. Anyway its all assumption. she could have paid $500 for it all last week on ebay! LOL!

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2o lbs rock (the most expensive rock in teh area @ 8.99 lb) = about 200 bucks after tax.

the stand-200
the tank-150
the light-200

NOT 950!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is absolutly no way.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a new light is not 200
a used light maybe
NO WAY 200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well... maybe if its pcs

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 43 39.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 57 51.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back