Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my suggestions....
higher on the left side.
switch center structure to the right side. looking straight down rotate it 30-45 degrees. move the right rocks to the center coming off of the rocks that were moved to the right.
or not.
:cool:
I appreciate the suggestions, sp1187.
For the left side, do you think I should have any concern for building the rock tall enough to limit coral growth and close off swimming space if I make it taller? I intend to put corals on the left side that will grow taller and fill in the space more than other areas.

For the center structure, the purpose is to have a tunnel for fish to swim through while also providing the arch surface and slope on the right side for corals. I will look into moving it to the right, but I am not sure it will still maintain my purposes. Another thing I did not mention is that the right side will be viewed through the mangroves (limited viewing, but would like the end view to still be interesting through the reef), so I think I would like to keep the BTA's there and keep it lower than the rest of the structure (hence the reason the structure builds from low on right to higher on left). If I rotate the structure, it might make it difficult to leave room for fish to swim around as well as through the arch.

Another specific reason behind my above structure is to have the right rocks isolated as an island to help with containing animals that might be invasive, so I want to maintain the divide. This is not to say that I will not consider the low island in the middle and moving the arch to the right. I will make some sketches incorporating your suggestions and give them some thought.

It is impossible to explain everything I have in my head right now as well as my own opinions, so I appreciate suggestions that make me think through different options. I cannot say I will follow all suggestions, but I can guarantee that I will consider them all!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the left side, do you think I should have any concern for building the rock tall enough to limit coral growth and close off swimming space if I make it taller? I intend to put corals on the left side that will grow taller and fill in the space more than other areas.

my scape breaks the surface in the corner. reason was , I don't want to see any returns, pumps & chords, etc; the fish swim around it. two of my four bta's decided the very top is the place to be. they don't care what our placement plans are. if your leathers grow that high, you'll be trimming any ways, so those below still get light.

For the center structure, the purpose is to have a tunnel for fish to swim through while also providing the arch surface and slope on the right side for corals. I will look into moving it to the right, but I am not sure it will still maintain my purposes. Another thing I did not mention is that the right side will be viewed through the mangroves (limited viewing, but would like the end view to still be interesting through the reef), so I think I would like to keep the BTA's there and keep it lower than the rest of the structure (hence the reason the structure builds from low on right to higher on left). If I rotate the structure, it might make it difficult to leave room for fish to swim around as well as through the arch.

you still have the arch for swim by. by rotating it you get added depth perception and you are looking up the arch. my meaning was move the arch so the favia rock is where the bta rock is but not as close to the glass. then rotate the arch so the left side points towards the back center. more depth perception front to back. the bta/gsp rock go center of tank not touching any other rocks.

Another specific reason behind my above structure is to have the right rocks isolated as an island to help with containing animals that might be invasive, so I want to maintain the divide. This is not to say that I will not consider the low island in the middle and moving the arch to the right. I will make some sketches incorporating your suggestions and give them some thought.

It is impossible to explain everything I have in my head right now as well as my own opinions, so I appreciate suggestions that make me think through different options. I cannot say I will follow all suggestions, but I can guarantee that I will consider them all!

just suggestions. when I do a scape I like to work up/down, front/back, side/side and add angles.

look forward to seeing what you end up with.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my scape breaks the surface in the corner. reason was , I don't want to see any returns, pumps & chords, etc; the fish swim around it. two of my four bta's decided the very top is the place to be. they don't care what our placement plans are. if your leathers grow that high, you'll be trimming any ways, so those below still get light.

you still have the arch for swim by. by rotating it you get added depth perception and you are looking up the arch. my meaning was move the arch so the favia rock is where the bta rock is but not as close to the glass. then rotate the arch so the left side points towards the back center. more depth perception front to back. the bta/gsp rock go center of tank not touching any other rocks.

just suggestions. when I do a scape I like to work up/down, front/back, side/side and add angles.

look forward to seeing what you end up with.
Are you thinking something like this sketch? (brown is rock, tan is sand)
1606256786218.png

I like this suggestion, and will play around with the rocks to see what I think. I do want to consider all angles and I like how this makes the island front-and-center for the BTA's (if they stay there...) or some other coral.

If only there were some way to save a file of the specific rock configurations as I go to compare later and decide on a final option...

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the suggestion of @sp1187 (and @Weasel1960 and @Pilot_rue for additional height on left), I rearranged the rocks to include more height on the left (I do not think I want to go any higher than this to allow for growing room for the coral) and switched the arch over to the right side with the island moved to the center. I do like this arrangement, probably even better than previous, though I am not sure about the dead corner on the back right (I added a rock for some fill).
1606323777746.png

Let me know what you think!
@sp1187 @Weasel1960 @Pilot_rue @BlennyTime @JonathanCarls

Attachments

• IMGP1646.JPG
    IMGP1646.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMGP1648.JPG
    IMGP1648.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMGP1649.JPG
    IMGP1649.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMGP1650.JPG
    IMGP1650.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 51

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only suggestion I have is that if you don't need the rock in the back corners for structural support, and you are considering keeping conchs to clean the gravel/sand (highly recommend) remove those so they can clean all the way around, which they will do. looks good either way.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only suggestion I have is that if you don't need the rock in the back corners for structural support, and you are considering keeping conchs to clean the gravel/sand (highly recommend) remove those so they can clean all the way around, which they will do. looks good either way.
Conchs are still in the consideration, though I also might use sand-sifting gobies and serpent stars for sand cleaning. I may just leave that corner empty like you suggest, since I can just fill it in later if the bare sand really bothers me. One of my dislikes right now is not enough bare sand, so leaving the corner empty might be preferable anyway.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conchs are still in the consideration, though I also might use sand-sifting gobies and serpent stars for sand cleaning. I may just leave that corner empty like you suggest, since I can just fill it in later if the bare sand really bothers me. One of my dislikes right now is not enough bare sand, so leaving the corner empty might be preferable anyway.
I've never had the gobies or the sifting stars. I keep 3-5 conchs all the time. very efficient and not as messy as I've heard the gobies can be.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back