Critter ID

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone tell me what this is? I found it crawling up the rear glass in my tank. My tank is new and only has one mushroom coral in it that I dipped using coralRx prior to placing it in the tank and was started with dry rock.

It appears to be a white/clear flat “worm” of some sort.

I managed to quickly suck it up off the glass and have it in a test tube. Just need to figure out the disposition of the little guy.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Better picture

Edit: Afraid it’s a flat worm which is really quite frustrating. Literally one coral and I dipped it and somehow the bugger is in there.

1819707E-9108-480E-AB25-84329EA8A423.jpeg

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moves/looks like a Nudibranch with the front end being kinda wavy, and appears to like to eat copepods.
Hope you find an answer !!!

Bah!! What do I know, could be anything outside my recollecton.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute ... It kinda looks like a marjoriespectaylorespgreeneslug pneumococcus sucking the life out of everything around it

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait a minute ... It kinda looks like a marjoriespectaylorespgreeneslug pneumococcus sucking the life out of everything around it
huh lol?

The closest thing I see in the hitchhiker guide is a ghost flatworm. I'm tempted to stick him back because I don't want to kill it if I don't have to, but for now he's going to hang out in the little test tube until someone more experienced than I says he's safe.

Didn't realize there were good/neutral flatworms. I've seen videos on the AE flatworms and kind of panicked. o_O Confident this is not that though as this is very clear-white.

Speedys_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not an expert when it comes to flatworms by any means but, it looks like a Convolutriloba flatworm to me. Its considered reef safe. IMO its not worth risking and would get rid of it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its a flatworm in which flatworms are never welcomed so obviously toss it and look daily for next 14 days for presence of any eggs which are tiny

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back