CUC issues?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 60 gallon tank that has bubble algae growing in and sone hair algae its been up for 10 montha now and I want to add more cleanup crew.
I have:
1 mexican turbo snail
7 astaea turbos and turban snails
3 nassarius snails
I want to add:
1 emerald crab
4 bumblebee snails (slight vermetid snail population and more scavengers)
1 peppermint shrimp (aptaisa) (i see 2 in a corner growing back over and over so I want a shrimp to take them out)

Do I need to add more to this,less, something else also?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fond of emerald crabs myself but the rest looks good!

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried emerald crabs for bubble algae, and didn’t have great success. If you have easier to eat algae like GHA, they’ll go for that and completely ignore the bubble algae. I don’t know if anything else that’s supposed to eat it though.

also, peppermint shrimp tend to intentionally leave a few Aptasia and “farm” it so they don’t run out, so if it’s just a couple of them I would definitely target treat them, but adding a peppermint shrimp on top wouldn’t hurt!

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a 60 gallon is big enough for a rabbit fish which will help with bubble and gha. Some tangs eat it too but I can't remember which ones. The bristle tooth ones I think.

I recommend cerith snails or a fighting conch is you have sand. They will go through the sand and eat any diatoms, algae, and cyanobacteria that tries to grow in it. Ceriths also go on the rocks and glass. Fighting conchs stay in the sand.

If you only have 2 aiptasia, then I strongly encourage you to take the rocks out, even if it is a ton of work, and put some salt on then, scrub with a toothbrush, rinse, then repeat.

There are several species of shrimp being marketed as peppermint shrimp. Only one of them eats aiptasia and is circled below. Peppermints are also known for eating coral and snails. Although those could be any or all of the ones pictured below.

EE624766-03CF-40A9-8B89-FF22DE08723F.jpeg

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back