Cure to your algae problems!

Chpaige

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae can become an issue, not only can it smother your coral, it is also an extreme eyesore! Algae, diatoms, and cyano are all alike and require certain elements for growth, if the elements go unchecked alagae will consume your entire tank... That being said understanding what it is and what expedites the growth will help you in the long run. Algae are both autotrophic and heterotrophic, meaning it like corals benefit from both photosynthesis and nutrients. The main nutrients include phosphates, nitrates, and sylicates. When your tank is cycling, it is actually forming a home for beneficial bacteria, which help to consume nutrients. A lack of bacteria colonies sufficient enough to handle the bio load is an algae bloom waiting to happen. Different ways you can combat this is to purchase bacteria starter, watch how long your lights are on, do not use tap water, use a Nitrate/Phosphate remover, water change (can't stress that one enough)! I personally use a reactor and NPX bioplastics pellets, works great, however has been known to make the water "too clean". I also add bacteria to my tank. I do water changes I have a 34 gallon I do 10% every other day, started this due to an algae bloom, (had to use tap water one time) had great results so I have continued the trend. Clean up crews will help as well ie Hermits, Snails, Emeralds etc. I am by no means telling you that this is what you HAVE to do, I am only informing you on how algae is formed, how it can be combatted, and what has worked for me. As far as Cyano goes, I have found that to only happen in nutient rich tanks with low water flow areas (dead spots) I have not had an issue with Cyano since my very first tank (I was still in the learning process). When I had my bloom from being forced to use tap water, I went through everything I stated, along with removing algae by hand, with the help of scrapers, toothbrush (soft bristled) and clean up crews and my tank is almost pretty once again. It will not happen overnight, however with diligence it will happen! Hope this helped!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back