Curiosity about longevity of tangs in our tanks so here is a poll...

Which best describes the longevity of tangs in your tanks

• The tang died in quarantine

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • The tang died shortly after being added to the tank

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • The tang died due to fighting (was bullied)

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • The tang needed to be rehomed within a couple months due to aggression

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tang outgrew its tank before 2 years (Based on size)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • The tang outgrew its tank after 2 years (based on size)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I have had a tang between 1 and 5 years with no problems

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • I have had a tang between 6 and 10 years with no problems

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have had a tang between 11 and 20 years with no problems

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • I have had a tang >20 years

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Tangs should not be kept in Aquaria due to their range in the wild.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is not to argue whether tangs should be in big or small tanks, etc etc. Just an interesting cross section of what happens to our fish. I'm going to use tangs as an example because they are common and there is a fair bit of data out there about their longevity in the wild. Only people who have owned tangs should answer.

The poll question: I BOUGHT A TANG AND..........

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But - comments welcome - as to the reasons for the death of the tang in question - if you have 2 tangs - answer with each option

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of my 4 tangs only one hasn't survived. That was due to moving my 6' tank from one end of my house to the other. I think he was stressed from the move. All were floated to temp acclimate 15 minutes upon delivery, salinity was close so they were added straight away. These are powder blue, hippo and yellow tang. Yellow is 2 years old, powder blue and hippo are going on 1 year and all very healthy.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hippo tang, a Yellow tang and a Yellow eye kole tang in my 6' 125. They've all been there for over 2 years. So far I have not lost any. They seem happy and healthy (fingers crossed). As far as longevity goes, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word "tang" in the thread title would be helpful, given you are asking about the longevity of tangs.....

Maybe "Poll: Longevity of tangs in reef tanks"

Or anything that has to do with the actual poll contents

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The word "tang" in the thread title would be helpful, given you are asking about the longevity of tangs..... :oops:
Thanks as always for your constructive criticism. The reason for using tangs is well described in the question - I think

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks as always for your constructive criticism.

No problem. I always suggest titling a poll something that relates to the contents of said poll. In this case, longevity of TANGS in our tanks. Would probably get more results.

When I clicked on the thread "Curious about longevity in our tanks so here is a poll...." , I assume it was something about silicone or how long you keep a tank before taking it down :)

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No problem. I always suggest titling a poll something that relates to the contents of said poll. In this case, longevity of TANGS in our tanks. Would probably get more results.
I know you hate edits - I edited my reply - the reason for using tangs was described in the question - maybe you didnt get that far - but I cant edit it at this point

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

When I clicked on the thread "Curious about longevity in our tanks so here is a poll...." , I assume it was something about silicone or how long you keep a tank before taking it down :)
I didnt realize you were a posting consultant. How much do you charge?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hippo tang (and tomato clown) that were 22 years old. They died when my entire tank got wiped out by Hurricane Sandy in 2011. They were in a 500 gal for their last 7 years and several other tanks of varying sizes (55-150) prior to that. The hippo had signs of "hole in the head" and the tomato had a darkened blackish-red color and a cataract in 1 eye later in life. But going back 29 years ago, when I first obtained them, the hobby wasn't as advanced as it is today so we weren't able to maintain water conditions as "perfect" as we can today. My hippos in more recent years have no signs of "hole in the head."

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my diary - "1/3/2014. Bought 3 blue tangs, 1 yellow tang, & Vlamingii Tang."

All Tangs still alive except for one blue tang. He lasted for about 3 years, the runt of the three, he was picked on by the other Blues.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tang and..........I added a yellow tang which was my 1st fish in my current tank I set up 4 years ago. It went in 1 week after I set the tank up as I did not go through a cycle by using all my live rock and sand and water. To this day he/she is fat and sassy along with the 13 other fish 1 of which is a purple tang that's 3 years old and a Hippo that is 2.5 years old. Sorry for not much excitement to my experience with my tangs but that is a good thing.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a tang and..........I added a yellow tang which was my 1st fish in my current tank I set up 4 years ago. It went in 1 week after I set the tank up as I did not go through a cycle by using all my live rock and sand and water. To this day he/she is fat and sassy along with the 13 other fish 1 of which is a purple tang that's 3 years old and a Hippo that is 2.5 years old. Sorry for not much excitement to my experience with my tangs but that is a good thing.
Right:)

Scott97062

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang for 15 years before his demise. I've had a sailfin for the past 4 years and he is going strong. I also have had another yellow tang for over a year and he is doing well also.

20191101_104455.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiences with tangs are generally at the extremes. I’ve had some die in QT, but once in the DT they are generally long lived. The only exception is the Naso tang. Had a couple make it through QT and then just show up Dead one morning a few weeks later. Never had tangs outgrow the tank .... because I get a bigger tank before they can.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Tomini tang in a 4ft tank that did great until it didn't. I think he made it to just around the 1 year mark, give or take, when his belly bloated up. After a week or so he couldn't swim upright and passed despite several attempted interventions from me.

I didn't answer the poll regarding my 2 newest tangs (a powder brown and a white tail bristletooth) because they are still in quarantine. So far, so good :)

ETA: the 2 new tangs will be going into a 6ft 180 gal. Move along, tang police, nothing to see here! ;)

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a yellow tang (petco fish) for 2 years. Any new tang I add the original bullies, relentlessly. Even ones his size...I think because of the stress of being bullied they ended up having lateral line disease and didn’t make it... YT is fine will all other fish. And surprisingly has chilled out since a volitan has been added

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two tangs. First was a purple that I bought as a little guy. I had him for about 10 years in a 4 ft 120. He seemed fine to me. When I wanted to change my stocking to little.fish I rehomed it to a large tank where I think he still lives today, probably 15 or 16 years after I bought it.

My second I have now. It's a little hippo tang that's growing fast!. Only 6months In with this one.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back