Cutting acrylic ?

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wet/dry Trickle filter someone gave me and I want to turn it into a sump. My question is what can I use to cut the center pieces out so I can install my own baffles where I want them?

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use something like a dremel but it probably won't look pretty.

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several options. You can use a sawsall with a metal cutting blade, you can use a dremel with a plunge cutting blade, you can use a reciprocating cutting tool with a plastic cutting blade

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used a dremel to cut acrylic before and whoever said its not pretty is 10000% right. It bubbles and burns up and turns black in some areas. but if its not going to be seen, go for it! lol

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A scoring tool should work fine for that. Draw your line and use a straight edge and score it 5 or 6 times. Then set it on a block at the score line and it should snap off with a little pressure. You can always score it deeper if u want

This should give you a very clean edge

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't use the scoring method. I'm trying to cut the inside wall of a wet/dry filter I have that I'm going to convert into a sump.

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but I use a Freud Diablo 10-Inch 80 Tooth saw blade meant specifically for things like veneer, metal and plastic with a high tooth count. This ensures a smooth cut without chipping.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It don't have to be pretty. I don't care much about that. I just don't want to break or crack it. I don't have a jig saw or deemed but I do have a sallsaw.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8858cb51fce1a9b4617d9de25e6d83c3.jpg

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at that tank. One thing you can do is use either end compartment for the overflow into the sump. The water will flow under the first baffle. Rather than cutting out the second baffle you can use a piece of acrylic to cover the underflow portion of the second baffle so that the water will flow upward then drill
Large holes i.e. ( 2 inches x 3) at the level you wish the return compartment to be at

Does that make sense ? This way you do not need to cut out the present baffles. If desired you can add additional baffles to create additional compartments

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at that tank. One thing you can do is use either end compartment for the overflow into the sump. The water will flow under the first baffle. Rather than cutting out the second baffle you can use a piece of acrylic to cover the underflow portion of the second baffle so that the water will flow upward then drill
Large holes i.e. ( 2 inches x 3) at the level you wish the return compartment to be at

Does that make sense ? This way you do not need to cut out the present baffles. If desired you can add additional baffles to create additional compartments

This probably makes the most sense of all. Very little additional work and expense. Just make sure your skimmer will fit where you want it.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sides of that look really thin. It might weaken it if you cut out the baffles and don't put something in to reinforce it. Of course that depends on your water level also.

Back