Cyano? Dinos? Some normal stuff?

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a bottomless 75 gallon saltwater aquarium with 2 hob filters. It has been set up for 2 months and ive already got coralline growth.

Have about 40 pounds of life rock (manmade rock never in the ocean never had anything dead on it)

Only 3 fish; 2 clowns and one lawnmower blenny.

5 trochus some baby trochus as well lol they did hatch in my tank though. About 6 hermits as well and 1 emerald.

Anyways, some of the rock (not all of them have this green algae on it, i will post a pic) and this one rock has some little air bubbles in the algae but i only recently noticed and i think it might be because my water level is low and lots of air bubbles are floating around (doing a water change today) i am just curious if you guys have any idea what it is? This algae has been on the rock for about a month and again i only noticed the air bubbles in them this morning. I get scared when i see air bubbles in algae because i immediately think of dinos. I do have some green spot and brown spot algae that im going to take care of and scrape off. I probably have a bit of a nutrient issue that i need to deal so ill slow feeding.

Does anyone know the type of algae?

And sorry i dont have params atm, i am not home currently and can check when i get home if you like. But my salinity and temp is perfect i know that for a fact. Ammonia is 0. That much i can speak on.

Thank you.

IMG_20200609_104718.jpg

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first glance it looks like the beginning of coraline algae.

The purple stuff you are seeing on the rock is fake corralline because the rock is fake

Or does coralline start out as green?

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with the post above. congrats is good growth

But does coralline start as green? The purple stuff is fake coralline to be clear because the rock i have in there is man made

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It starts out green like that. The rocks are new and have not matured.

Oh I see! So what about the air bubbles attached to it? Any idea what that may be? That stuff wiggs me out because of how dinos look

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see! So what about the air bubbles attached to it? Any idea what that may be? That stuff wiggs me out because of how dinos look
The bubbles could be dinos or cyano, but overall that is coralline growth. You might want to consider some snails. Alot of long time reefers do not put hermits in their tank.

If the bubbles are not brown that's a good sign. Would wait it out a few months and continue doing your current routine. If the bubble is attached to a string like this:

1591731954582.png

Then you can start taking more steps to eradicate.

Sounds like the bubbles are just from regular diatoms.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles could be dinos or cyano, but overall that is coralline growth. You might want to consider some snails. Alot of long time reefers do not put hermits in their tank.

If the bubbles are not brown that's a good sign. Would wait it out a few months and continue doing your current routine. If the bubble is attached to a string like this:

1591731954582.png

That picture just gave me flashbacks, eww

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1591731954582.png

Yeah its not brown, its green, not stringy. Just rhe bubbles are on top thats all. As for it being cyano, i did just do a water change and there isnt bubbles on it anymore and i tried scraping it with my finger nail (a little cane off from scraping with nail but can't tell if it was algae or dust or whatever) and flapping my hand by and nothing happened. Its like the rocks just changed color almost

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like the bubbles are cyano and the green is coralline. Increase flow if you want to avoid bubbles in the future - or look into chemiclean if you want to eradicate it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back