Cycle complete?

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65 gal + 20 gal sump. Added presumably "live" rock that I tried to cure in a tub for 6 week about 2 weeks ago and fed some pellets and flakes. Saw a small spike in ammonia to 0.25-0.5. It now appears to have dropped to 0, but there is no trace of nitrite or nitrate. I stupidly added chaeto to the sump a few days back, so this might be why. Currently the glass is covered with copepods and a small hermit crab has been happy in there for the last 24 hrs.

I fed the tank some meaty foods 24 hrs ago and these are the test results (did 2 ammonia tests). Is my tank cycled? If so, when can I add a fish? I have two clowns and a high fin goby waiting in my 13.5 gallon.
20181113_175514.jpeg

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was truly live rock that you cured for 6 weeks, then IMO it would be ok to add fish. Just take it slow and only add a couple at a time if they are small. Only 1 at a time if they are big. You don't want to overload your new tank.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, the rock was live and you cured for six weeks. Then it was in the tank for two weeks. If this is the case, you should be cycled. With live rock a small ammonia spike and no measurable Nitrite reading would not be unusual.

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, the rock was live and you cured for six weeks. Then it was in the tank for two weeks. If this is the case, you should be cycled. With live rock a small ammonia spike and no measurable Nitrite reading would not be unusual.
I had the rock in a heated and circulated bin for 6 weeks, adding aquavitro seed bacteria, and a piece of rock from my established 13 gallon system, and some fish flakes on several occassions. The problem is I was away for a few weeks and when I came back I never found an ammonia spike in my tests... So I am not 100% sure it was cured... I did find a live nasarrius snail when removing the "cured" rock... Not sure if this is a good or bad sign, since if there was an ammonia spike as it cured, then the snail would have died, correct?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also believe you are good to go. Go slow and watch the ammonia level for a few days. I always keep a bottle of prime for my QT tanks and it can be a fish saver if ammonia ever becomes a problem.

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was truly live rock that you cured for 6 weeks, then IMO it would be ok to add fish. Just take it slow and only add a couple at a time if they are small. Only 1 at a time if they are big. You don't want to overload your new tank.
Someone on another forum said that I am only cycled to the amount of food I put in... So I put in a pinch of flakes on 4 occassions over the curing process... What this an error to use so little? Does it mean my it wasnt actually cured?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on another forum said that I am only cycled to the amount of food I put in... So I put in a pinch of flakes on 4 occassions over the curing process... What this an error to use so little? Does it mean my it wasnt actually cured?
My thinking is that you have bacteria because of what you have done. How much we dont know. Pods die and can be a source of ammonia to feed the bacteria. The rock is cured. This does not mean you can add 5 cubes of food every day and not have an ammonia spike. Put your 3 fish in and dont over feed. Test your ammonia every day. It is 70 gallons of water volume so I do not think you will have a problem.
If you do I will buy you 3 new fish

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thinking is that you have bacteria because of what you have done. How much we dont know. Pods die and can be a source of ammonia to feed the bacteria. The rock is cured. This does not mean you can add 5 cubes of food every day and not have an ammonia spike. Put your 3 fish in and dont over feed. Test your ammonia every day. It is 70 gallons of water volume so I do not think you will have a problem.
If you do I will buy you 3 new fish
Thanks for the help. I got my first tank from a friend and it was already established. So this part is all new to me...

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont forget the red haddoni

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back