Cycled with dead rock

NanoNana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed advice from R2R and did not bleach my dead rock. I blew it out with the compressor, soaked in RO/DI the sun dried it for a week. Finally got the tank scaped yesterday afternoon and let it sit for sand to settle. I then realized that I had the previous ceramic filter media so soaked and dried that as well figuring it’s more of the same.

This morning I checked ammonia thinking the dead rock might start the cycle and found ammonia at 0.2 using both RedSea and Tropic Marin kits. Checked for nitrates for fun and they were at about 2 on both tests. Which I thought was a little quick. I didn’t measure nitrites per se but because of how the Tropic Marin test is conducted I know they are present.

Had planned to cycle with Dr Tim’s but with ammonia and nitrates both present, is there any point at adding anything or is the dead rock and live sand just doing it all for me? I have no clue what the ammonia was at its peak. Tank sat about 16 hours before I tested.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed advice from R2R and did not bleach my dead rock. I blew it out with the compressor, soaked in RO/DI the sun dried it for a week. Finally got the tank scaped yesterday afternoon and let it sit for sand to settle. I then realized that I had the previous ceramic filter media so soaked and dried that as well figuring it’s more of the same.

This morning I checked ammonia thinking the dead rock might start the cycle and found ammonia at 0.2 using both RedSea and Tropic Marin kits. Checked for nitrates for fun and they were at about 2 on both tests. Which I thought was a little quick. I didn’t measure nitrites per se but because of how the Tropic Marin test is conducted I know they are present.

Had planned to cycle with Dr Tim’s but with ammonia and nitrates both present, is there any point at adding anything or is the dead rock and live sand just doing it all for me? I have no clue what the ammonia was at its peak. Tank sat about 16 hours before I tested.
Without the addition of bacteria the cycle wouldn't happen that fast. I would still add some type of bacteria and follow the directions given on the bottle.

OP
OP
NanoNana

NanoNana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without the addition of bacteria the cycle wouldn't happen that fast. I would still add some type of bacteria and follow the directions given on the bottle.
I used tropic baron, sin, biotic salt, which does contain some probiotic bacteria and it sat mixed for about a week before I set the tank up. I also used live sand which should contain some level of bacteria. I am guessing that those two sources accompanied with the dead, and any bacteria that managed to survive on that as well as any bacteria that managed to survive in the ceramic media would account or there being at least some bacterial load in the tank. no problem adding more bacteria. I just don’t know if I also need to add additional ammonia or once the ammonia that is currently present is cleared if I’m good to go.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tropic baron, sin, biotic salt, which does contain some probiotic bacteria and it sat mixed for about a week before I set the tank up. I also used live sand which should contain some level of bacteria. I am guessing that those two sources accompanied with the dead, and any bacteria that managed to survive on that as well as any bacteria that managed to survive in the ceramic media would account or there being at least some bacterial load in the tank. no problem adding more bacteria. I just don’t know if I also need to add additional ammonia or once the ammonia that is currently present is cleared if I’m good to go.
I wouldn't worry about the ammonia.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back