OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering what Ike has in that tank day 1- current, we know your tank will handle a starting bioload reasonably. Also change cycling water so you have less new reef uglies
That's good to know, so you think after a large water change, the tank is fish ready? Would a 50% water change be enough, or is 100% necessary? Thank you in advance!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 is ok for sure, nothing will burn new animals as enough time has passed. That will reduce algae fuel nicely

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, after the water change, a pair of small clownfish wouldn't be too much for my bioload, right? Or should I just add one?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll be fine, and I can tell you are earnestly trying to cycle correctly so for added fun I'll do my 4th insured start

:)
That means since I'm bucking the system, if you'll acclimate carefully and do the 50% and add two normal clowns vs the designer ones then I'll pay for them if they die. They won't

Offering to PayPal someone for dead fish means the purveyor of new cycling rules really believes in this stuff. Ok time to rock on, feed very lightly at the start no waste feed. After 3 days looking fine, acting fine, swimming normally no darting or flailing about... proof it's cycled.

Of course api will still say its cycling, we use a different meter/ my PayPal if I'm wrong. Have fun get us pics spend reasonably in case I'm unlucky lol

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to pay lol. It might be a few days until I can go to the fish store, but I'll definitely pick the clowns up when I can (after the 50% WC ofc). I'm just planning to get 2 normal clowns because I honestly don't like how the designers look (but that's just me). And I'll definitely make sure to feed reasonably. Thank you for your advice and help!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My #2 insured start I didn't mention type of clown

So we started with $79 designer heh thankfully bottle bac works and I use a new clause with the rare insurance offers, pretty fun

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you started with dry rock and sand, it could take longer for bacterial colonies to populate. The best advice I got about this hobby is that only bad things happen quickly. Good luck.

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My #2 insured start I didn't mention type of clown

So we started with $79 designer heh thankfully bottle bac works and I use a new clause with the rare insurance offers, pretty fun
Well that gives me a bit more confidence in putting livestock in so early lol.

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you started with dry rock and sand, it could take longer for bacterial colonies to populate. The best advice I got about this hobby is that only bad things happen quickly. Good luck.
Thank you for your advice! It'll still be a few days before I add any livestock though. If something goes wrong I have a bottle of Prime and Microbacter 7 in case of a huge ammonia spike.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats fun about the new way of cycling is we're able to discern start dates vs unspecified wait times...thats the old way which is indeed safe by default

but nowadays (or at least before covid) there were marine conventions, we had to get 500 reefs to start all on a friday, without variance.

enter new cycle science which names the ready date, before the setup, without having to test for anything (its all submersion date timing + known boosters already known in the industry)

there are also home moves, how to get to new home B and skip the cycle or time a new one, to meet up with a bunch of new corals and fish and not kill them. thats new cycling science, we prep the tank for the start date and it complies, it doesnt fail to comply

theres several more times we need a known ready date, but that shows the most common.

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats fun about the new way of cycling is we're able to discern start dates vs unspecified wait times...thats the old way which is indeed safe by default

but nowadays (or at least before covid) there were marine conventions, we had to get 500 reefs to start all on a friday, without variance.

enter new cycle science which names the ready date, before the setup, without having to test for anything (its all submersion date timing + known boosters already known in the industry)

there are also home moves, how to get to new home B and skip the cycle or time a new one, to meet up with a bunch of new corals and fish and not kill them. thats new cycling science, we prep the tank for the start date and it complies, it doesnt fail to comply

theres several more times we need a known ready date, but that shows the most common.
I did not know that, I'll definitely keep that in mind when adding my fish. As a noob, it's really confusing to read abt all the different ways people cycle, so thank you for informing me. I will definitely keep all of this in mind during my cycle and future cycles.

OP
OP
E

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, @brandon429 it appears you were right. I picked up a small pair of clowns 2 days ago and they appear to be doing great. Both are active, ammonia has not spiked, and are eating well. No signs of ammonia "burning" or stress in general.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%
Back