Dad Aquarium's 220g Rimless Peninsula Build

Dad Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi All! So this project started a bit over a year ago and had some slow periods, but the last couple weeks have had progress! The custom stand is installed, with the tank in place and test filled. Lots of plumping to do and a sump to partition next.

I made a few videos here because sometimes it's more fun to show than tell!

My tank is a 220g custom peninsula from Lifetime Aquariums. It's 72x24x30 with 3/4" low iron glass, aluminum bottom frame, and rimless top. I've got it drilled for a shadow overflow and return on one end. I've got two 1.5" bulkheads with an extra plate of glass (1.5" thick) on the bottom of the tank at the opposite end for a closed loop. My stand is 43" tall with 36" tall cabinet door openings for the sump. I used 4x6 rails using Rocket Engineer's stand design. The top rim of the tank sits at 75" which makes for a nice standing viewing height and I'm looking forward to looking up at the underside of the surface moving and shimmering once I get lights and powerheads installed.

lighting: 2x Kessil AP700s (I have one on my current tank)
refugium lighting: Kessil H380 Halo II
powerheads: 2x Tunze 6105 (w/ battery backups)
skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 300EXT Various 12" recirculating
simmer feeder pump Syncra Pro 1900
Apex Controller
return pump: Neptune COR-20
closed loop: Fluval FX6 & Syncra Silent 5.0 (in parallel)

I picked up the sump on Friday. Its a Visio 150 gallon (60x24x24) glass aquarium. I had a couple of holes drilled. There's a 3" hole in the glass crossbrace for the refugium light. The other hole is for a 1.5" bulkhead low in the return chamber. I have an old 180g tank I want to tie in for extra water volume and this hole is where it will drain to the sump.

Also on Friday went to the wholesale glass warehouse and got a 48"x100" sheet of 1/4" glass cut in 22-3/4" strips for sump partitions (and to fit in my car). My next job is to cut them to length, knock off some corners (with a wet tile saw?) and glue them up. The 70 gallon middle section is for the refugium. I've been drawing it up on Photoshop and I think I'll post tomorrow after a few more tweaks.

That's all for tonight!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back