Daly 150 DD with basement sump and 45g frag tank

PharmaSki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I don't post very much but I have been working on a whole new set up at my house and wanted to share. I currently have a 75 gallon reef tank that has been running for about a year and a half
20150613_110139_zpslwj4oegr.jpg

This has been a good tank but space is limited and as I'm sure many of you can relate I wanted something bigger. The hardest part about going bigger was not finding what I wanted or where to put it but convincing the wife. Here is what I did. We currently have 3 bedrooms in our house, two are occupied and the third bedroom contains this tank. That meant all I had to do was to find someone to occupy this room so the tank had to go somewhere else. As soon as my wife found out she was pregnant she gave me the thumbs up to put a tank in the other room
smiley20.gif
. I made sure she knew it wasn't going to be this tank but one that would look good in our main room, she didn't care because she just wants this out of that bedroom. It worked like magic and I got right to ordering the new set up.

20150930_114237_zpssueh3ohp.jpg
20151013_220652_zpsqkhn7hzy.jpg

I went with the 150 Deep Dimension because it fit the space much better than any 6 foot tank. I ordered the stand and canopy from Driftwood Aquarium Furniture in Utah. The good thing about ordering a Driftwood stand is that Dion can save your hide when it comes to something you don't think about. I wanted the tank to sit higher than the banister so the side view wasn't lost. After I ordered it he called to make sure it would fit through the door... The big problem with a deep dimension tanks is they don't fit through standard door ways without being turned sideways. I measured everything and found, with height of the stand that I wanted, the stand itself would not fit through the door. Can you imagine coming home with a new set up that you can't get through the front door... So if you look close you can see that the stand itself has a pedestal that it sits in to give it the height back. I am so glad Dion had me measure!
20151013_220621_zpsvf9xn9jm.jpg

The canopy opens from two sides so I can get to the back of the tank a lot easier.

Anyway, that is the story of this tank. Sorry if it was boring.
Here are some pictures that will be more interesting than the story behind the tank.

I had Tyler at Elite Aquatics make me this sump. It is 60x20x15. I am thinking about drilling a hole for a bulk head and valve to go from the refugium to the return and one from the return to outside so I can do easy water changes.
20150827_224249_zpscp0ifmad.jpg

Mixing station to make things easier.
20150827_224305_zpsslw2lrej.jpg

Another. In the back corner is the frag tank that I plan on using as a transfer tank then I might tie it into the other system and use it as a grow out tank.
20150831_112904_zpsvh07pfps.jpg

Next up will be plumbing everything, and aquascaping the whole thing.

Thanks for reading.

butters417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, I have a 150dd with basement sump as well. Very similar setup. Love it so far

OP
OP
PharmaSki

PharmaSki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like where this build is headed...

What type of equipment will you be going with?

Thanks, feel free to give input or ask questions if you think I'm missing something.

Here is what I have for equipment so far,

150DD
Lights: Maxspect Razors 120w-16000K (because that is what I already have)

Pumps: Danner Supreme Aqua-Mag 24 (going submersible)
I have 2 MP40's and 2 MP10's I'm not going to use them all obviously but not sure how I want to place these yet. @butters417 what do you have on yours and how do you have them placed? Would you change anything?

Skimmer: ESHOPPS S-300
Heater: Aquatop 400w
Neptune Apex
Bubble Magus Dosing Pump
Spectrapure ATO Ultra-Precise Level Controller II (Love this thing BTW)
BRS GFO and Carbon Dual Reactor (might just run carbon in it... might get separate reactor for GFO... I've always just used Chemi-pure elite in between the baffles of my sump so I'm new to carbon and gfo reactors but chemi-pure elite is expensive so I'm looking to go a different direction.)
Home Depot clamp light for refugium

Frag Tank
Maxspect Razor 120w-16000K
Jebao DC 12000
Bubble Magus Curve 7

I think I listed everything I have at this time. I may have left something out...

Looks good, I have a 150dd with basement sump as well. Very similar setup. Love it so far

Thank you! Your build does look very similar to mine, and it looks amazing! If you were to do something different with your build what would it be?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back