Damage to fish overnight

Phishguy3.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female square Anthias in Qt and this morning when I checked on how she was doing i noticed this damage to her body. It looks as if she may have slept on the intake to the filter. The reason why I think that is because that’s where she goes at night and because the damage looks as though it’s a straight line caused by something in natural.

5C1A7C3D-275B-445A-81EF-73D0EA9CAF5E.jpeg 06F7DFAB-9635-4717-9B14-CB3B59ACA3AF.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating the fish for internal pathogens? The white and stringy poo is troubling.
I'd treat the fish with a 30 minute bath in methylene blue for the injury to try to help it to heal before a bacterial infection sets in. Do you have any antibiotics handy? Something like kanaplex, Furan2 or Sulfaplex for the QT?

OP
OP
Phishguy3.0

Phishguy3.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch, looks like it may also have some sort of bacterial infection with that white stringy poop?
I’ve been dozing with furan-2 metro and prazipro. I just finished a 4 day dose of furan-2

OP
OP
Phishguy3.0

Phishguy3.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating the fish for internal pathogens? The white and stringy poo is troubling.
I'd treat the fish with a 30 minute bath in methylene blue for the injury to try to help it to heal before a bacterial infection sets in. Do you have any antibiotics handy? Something like kanaplex, Furan2 or Sulfaplex for the QT?

It’s been in the Qt with furan for 4 days. The fish was fine last night and the infection that I was treating on the coral beauty was resolving.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes Prazipro alone will not completely resolve internal pathogens. If you add metro it will cover the pathogens that prazi might miss and vice versa. Best to feed the prazi + metro (General Cure has both in the powder form) directly to the gut using Focus as a binder with food if the fish is eating. Feed the mix everyday for 10 days.

OP
OP
Phishguy3.0

Phishguy3.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change as per the furan-2 and both fish are now skimming the surface of the tank. I added another air stone to the tank. What else could be a reason for this behavior

OP
OP
Phishguy3.0

Phishguy3.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A powerhead aimed up at the surface where it is actively "rippling" the water's surface will give superior O2 exchange.
So I’m assuming that there is low o2 in the tank. Could my issue be that I don’t have an air stone or power head in my 20 gal bucket of ro/di?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back